photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash
photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash

“All 100 x la UPR” Campaign

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

“The Association of Professors of the University of Puerto Rico at Mayaguez (APRUM) is Al 100 x la UPR (100% for the UPR) because it alone has assumed the urgent task of defending the UPR under Title III of the PROMESA law” (PROTESTAmos).”

As PROTESTAmos explains in its article on their website, APRUM is the only association from the entire UPR and its 11 campuses taking the stand on the “Corte de Quiebras” and defending the unjust and withering budget cuts and monetary raises the Fiscal Control Board wants to impose on the University. This is happening, like the unending approach of an iceberg, instead of working towards the betterment of the public institution. As PROTESTAmos describes, the UPR is “the only public institution that Puerto Rico counts on for higher education, community development, scientific, social and humanistic research, artistic creation, cultural custodianship, and health care services.” As students, we completely acknowledge the positive impacts of the UPR both in our personal lives, in other students, and in the community surrounding the campuses.

While APRUM is facing up to the responsibility of defending the institution, it is turning into more of a challenge. This is because they are confronting other powerful forces that have much greater financial resources. In other words, to defend one’s case under the Title III of PROMESA, one must pay. For others that are exercising the Title III, this is a no-brainer, because most are already lawyers or bondholders (the same type of people that have made the illegal debt bigger and unpayable). The other people that are confronting APRUM are there for their personal profit and not for the well-being of a public institution that provides education for everybody and helps the community.

“Their intent is to shrink the UPR and make it inaccessible for the majorities. We know this is an unequal struggle—but united we can prevail” (PROTESTAmos).

APRUM has launched the campaign “Al 100 x la UPR” to gather the funds to continue defending the institution in the “Corte de Quiebras.” Contributions of any quantity help. Forming a group amongst friends where each can donate $5 or $10 can make a difference. You would not only be helping APRUM; you’d be helping the only public higher education institution in Puerto Rico, you’d be creating hope for the downtrodden, and affirming that Puerto Ricans do care and are capable of changing things for the better.

There are several ways to help:

Visit and make your donation.

Send it through ATH Móvil at (787) 458-8550

Or make a deposit at the Coop RUM (account # 11971), which is on the first floor of the Student Center (CE).  

SHARE this information with your friends, family, colleagues, and acquaintances. APRUM needs your help now!

Contacts:

Lissette Rolón Collazo: (787) 614-7600

Marcel Castro Sitiriche: (787) 967-6641

More information here and here.

Author of "Partida en Dos," a self-published poetry book, and also published writer featured in magazines such as Sábanas, El Vicio del Tintero, Emily, and the Anthology of the Revolutionary Alliance. Bachelor student of English Literature and minors in Comparative Literature and Teacher Preparation. Born and raised in the West of Puerto Rico, artist, dancer, tree-hugger and animal rights activist. 
English Major at the University of Puerto Rico, Mayagüez Campus. With a minor in Comunications and a minor in Marketing. Interested in all things entertainment and pop culture. Passionate writer and aspiring journalist. Former Campus Correspondent at HC UPRM.