Alcalá reveals: Why You Need To Go To the Assembly

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

Right now, the UPR is facing financial cuts of up to $300 million. Naysha Alcalá, president of UPRM Student Council explained how a draft copy was made to reflect the changes that would be made. Some include: termination of funds, reduction in enrollment exemptions (like for athletes, choir members and honor students, among others); and increased overall enrollment costs. Right now, a cut of $300 million means less sections, less professors, and less money for maintenance and laboratory resources, which begs the question: what role are we going to play inside all this that is happening?

Alcalá, expressed the main reasons for students to attend the assembly. As she said, these are very important reasons for assistance. If the pressure of what is to come is not enough to convince students to go, Alcalá also urges Colegio students to go so they can stay informed and make their own judgments about the situation and take action accordingly. For example, an increase in enrollment cost is imminent and an enrollment adjusted to income would mean battle between those who receive financial aid. Most of these “plans” are still in the cooking stage, but what is most important for this assembly is to find an answer to the question: “How are we going to react?”

One of the options given to Colegio was to divide the $300 million in two and make it payable along two years. However, a big chunk of that will affect professors and, therefore, course offerings and enrollment and section opportunities. The second half, the increased enrollment and credit costs,  would affect the students more directly, along with increased costs in credit transcriptions, and elimination of athlete or children of employees exemptions. “Everything will be threatened,” Alcalá warned. Another topic that will be covered on Thursday’s assembly will be the campus’  proposals for independence from the UPR system. Alcalá explained how there is yet a decision to be made, and it’s not quite clear what the repercussions of such an act would be. Nevertheless, Alcalá says “it’s important to define your opinions before there’s a defined decision.” She announced how the Student Council is working on other alternatives, but that student participation is essential, especially now “that the university really needs us, we have to react.”

“It’s imperative for the students to know about the university reform.” This project, as Alcalá explained, is still a bit raw and it could have a lot of publicity. For that same reason, the colegiales have to know about it. They need to know the facts. “We know that the Recinto deserves more autonomy for being one of the biggest, but we have yet to see how the plan to decentralize Colegio would work.” As a means to promote the assembly, the council will have a cultural night at the Placita de Chardón, on Wednesday, February 15, where campus associations will participate; they will have bomba and they will also have a “Dialogue with your Council” session, so that doubts may be clarified for the following day’s assembly. Alcalá explained that the purpose of these activities is not only for promotion, but to let the rest of the students be aware that the council is available. “We’re trying to develop a sort of dialogue, a platform  that isn’t rigid and professional. That the student seeks us out, talks, and gets informed.”

Alcalá hopes to create something more “friendly and dynamic.” Other topics that will be discussed will be the new process of enrollment and adjustments, área blanca, and other reports about what the council has worked on this year.

Alcalá admitted that she knows what the winds carry “honestly, está fea la cosa.” What the council wants the most for that assembly is for it to be filled so they can be quorum to take decisions, and the students be fully informed. Along with Colegio, UPR-Ponce and UPR Arecibo will have their assembly on Thursday as well. On ours, Wole Tv will be there along with El Nuevo Dia and Dialogo UPR. “We exhort our students to pass by our office, to watch our social networks and to go to the assembly!”

Author of "Partida en Dos," a self-published poetry book, and also published writer featured in magazines such as Sábanas, El Vicio del Tintero, Emily, and the Anthology of the Revolutionary Alliance. Bachelor student of English Literature and minors in Comparative Literature and Teacher Preparation. Born and raised in the West of Puerto Rico, artist, dancer, tree-hugger and animal rights activist. 
Claudia is a witchy English Literature and International Affairs major from La Parguera. She's worked in various on-campus projects, such as the MayaWest Writing Project and as a tutor at the English Writing Center. In addition, she's worked at Univision and has also been published in El Nuevo Día and El Post Antillano. When she doesn't have her nose in a book, you can find Claudia tweeting something snarky and pushing boundaries as a Beyoncé expert. Follow her on Twitter and Instagram, @clauuia.