element5 digital fuZWqL1C2rM unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
element5 digital fuZWqL1C2rM unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

7 Ways Netflix’s A Christmas Prince is Similar to Other Romantic Comedies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

In order to properly kick off the holiday season, Netflix premiered their original movie, A Christmas Prince. The movie is about Amanda Moore (played by Rose McIver), a junior editor who wishes to become a journalist, and takes on the assignment to go to a country called Aldovia to report on Prince Richard’s (Ben Lamb) reluctance in accepting the throne. When she arrives, she poses as Prince Richard’s sister Princess Emily’s tutor in order to get the dirt on Aldovia’s royals. As Amber falls for the prince, she has to decide whether or not she will reveal a secret that would get her a big break as a journalist, but hurt the royals in the process. However, as I watched the movie, I couldn’t help but notice the similarities between A Christmas Prince and other romantic comedies. These were the ones that stood out the most to me.

1. Aspiring journalist is given an assignment in another country in order to prove herself.

Similar to: Letters to Juliet

In Letters to Juliet, the main character Sophie (Amanda Seyfried) is an aspiring journalist who heads to Italy in order to pursue a lead that could get her published. In A Christmas Prince, Amber is given the assignment to cover a press conference in Aldovia which she accepts in the hopes of becoming a journalist.  

2. Journalist goes undercover

Similar to: Never Been Kissed; How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days

In Never Been Kissed, journalist Josie (Drew Barrymore) goes undercover as a high school student and falls in love with her English teacher. In A Christmas Prince, Amber poses as Princess Emily’s tutor in order to get the scoop on the royal family. Also, in How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days, Andie (Kate Hudson) is a journalist who ends up falling in love while in an assignment.

3. Failed archery lessons

Similar to: The Princess Diaries 2: Royal Engagement

In A Christmas Prince, Prince Richard helps Amber shoot an arrow and ends up shooting it through the window. In The Princess Diaries 2: Royal Engagement, Princess Mia (Anne Hathaway) is taking archery lessons and ends up shooting everything but the target.

4. Crown prince wants to abdicate the crown

Similar to: The Prince & Me

In The Prince & Me, Prince Edvard (Luke Mably) is a playboy who runs away from Denmark because he doesn’t want to be king. In A Christmas Prince, Prince Richard runs away from Aldovia when the king passes away because he doesn’t feel prepared to be the king.

5. Loophole in the law

Similar to: The Prince and Me 2: The Royal Wedding

In The Prince and Me 2: The Royal Wedding (Yes, there was a sequel!), Paige (Kam Heskin) finds a loophole in the law at the last minute in order to allow Prince Edvard to become king. In A Christmas Prince, Amber swoops in with a royal decree found in a fake acorn that allows Prince Richard to become king.

6. Prince abandons royal protocol in order to play with children

Similar to: The Princess Diaries 2: Royal Engagement; The Prince & Me

In A Christmas Prince, Prince Richard abandons a speech in order to play with the children in an orphanage. In The Princess Diaries 2: Royal Engagement, Princess Mia (Anne Hathaway) stops a parade in order to include children in the parade. Also, in The Prince & Me, Paige (Julia Stiles) deviates from an official event in order to spend time with children at a hospital.

7. Aldovia… Genovia?

Similar to: The Princess Diaries

In A Christmas Prince, Prince Richard is set to rule the country of Aldovia, which sounds pretty similar to Princess Mia’s Genovia in The Princess Diaries movies.

So if you experienced some déjà vu while watching A Christmas Prince, you are not alone. If you are in the mood for watching a mix of romantic comedies, then this is probably the movie for you to watch!

*Screenshots courtesy of Netflix.

22 years old. Island Girl. Bilingual. Political Science. International Relations. Pop Culture Junkie. Music & Movies.
English Major at the University of Puerto Rico, Mayagüez Campus. With a minor in Comunications and a minor in Marketing. Interested in all things entertainment and pop culture. Passionate writer and aspiring journalist. Former Campus Correspondent at HC UPRM.