6 Reasons for Leaving Your Apartment This Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

There is always that week in the semester when everything just seems to be happening: well, this week is that week. On the upside, these events are the perfect reason to take a study break and get out of your apartment for a while. Even if you can’t make it to all of these amazing opportunities, at least check them out and choose one to go to. 

1. University of Puerto Rico- Mayaguez’s Student General Assembly (Tuesday, March 10 | 10:30 am)

The UPRM General Student Council invites the UPRM student body to discuss timely issues related to: the effects of the IVA in UPRM, increases in enrollment and budget related issues. There will be an academic recess from 10:30 am through 1:30 pm, so that everyone is able to attend.

2.  Perspectiva de Género Converser with Marcia Rivera, Maite Mulero, and José Encarnación (Tuesday, March 10 | 4:45 pm)

Specialists in public politic and Sociology will be holding a conversation on the so-talked-about topic of Perspectiva de Género and its inclusion to Puerto Rico’s educational public system. .

3. Film Forum, Obvious Child(2014) (Tuesday, March 10 | 7:00 pm)

Students from the Spanish course: Feminist Critical Theories will be hosting the first of a film forums series on women’s issues. This particular forum will be based on the topic of abortion and reproductive rights. 

4. Hecho en Europa Film Festival (March 10- 12 | 7:00 pm)

This event is being organized by the collaboration of UPRM’s French Alliance and Cinémathèque. The film festival will feature projects from Spain, France and Córcega.

5. Presencias’ Puerto Rican Short Films Competition (Thursday, March 12 | 8:00 pm)

For those film fanatics who seek to learn more about the local film industry, Presencias continues its arts and culture promotion; giving a chance to local filmmakers-finalists from the Hecho en Europa film festival- to present their projects.

6. PCSA’s Popular Culture Conference (Friday, March 13 and Saturday, March 14 )

The Popular Culture Students Association hosts the first ever UPRM’s Pop Culture Conference. The event will count with key-note conferences, panels and round table discussions on diverse topics about popular culture.

Mónica Ocasio is a senior majoring in comparative literature, with a minor in Italian at the University of Puerto Rico- Mayagüez. Born, raised and living in Puerto Rico, Mónica has always enjoyed reading a good book, spending time with her family and baking.