This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

Fall is my favorite time of the year. Not only does it mean that temperatures get colder and Halloween is right around the corner, but also that we are blessed with the return of our favorite TV shows and the debuts of new ones. We all have to take a break from time to time to escape the pressure that our beloved Colegio puts upon us so, here are some of the TV shows you cannot miss this fall.

1. Scandal (its 7th and final season)

(Photo credit: Facebook.com/ScandalABC)

Shonda Rhimes’s political drama returns for a final season this fall. Season 6 left off with Mellie being sworn-in as the first female president of the United States and a jaw-dropping revelation: the identity of the real mastermind behind President-Elect Frankie Vargas’ assassination. However, now that Olivia Pope is in power, many burning questions remain: Where will the Gladiators go from here? Will Olivia be blinded by power and go to the dark side? Is there a possibility of Fitz and Olivia living happily ever after? Seasons 1 – 6 are already streaming on Netflix. Tune in for the season premiere on October 5th at 9 p.m. on ABC.

2. How to Get Away with Murder (Season 4)

Photo credit: twitter.com/HowToGetAwayABC

How To Get Away With Murder, also written by Shonda Rhimes, focuses on Annalise Keating, a criminal defense attorney and law professor, and five of her students, known as “The Keating Five,” and their involvement in different murder plots and mysteries. As with all of the other shows Rhimes has written, the season finale left us on the edge of our seats. Last season, we had to deal with the loss of one of the main characters. After an entire season of twists and turns at every corner, the identity of Wes’ killer was finally revealed, which turned out to prove all of our theories wrong. Now that we know who was behind all of this, it’s just a matter of time before everything implodes. Catch up on seasons 1 – 3 on Netflix. The new season premieres on September 28th at 10pm on ABC.

3. Jane the Virgin (Season 4)

(Photo credit: The CW official website)

This American adaptation of Juana La Virgen is coming back for its fourth season. As we know, the show centers on Jane, an aspiring young writer who was accidentally artificially inseminated. After all the ups and downs Jane and Rafael have faced together and the completely unexpected and heartbreaking death mid-season, Season 3 ended with a major plot twist as Luisa, Rafael’s unstable sister, returned to wreak havoc, and it seems like she’s not going anywhere anytime soon. Seasons 1 – 3 are available on Netflix. The new season premieres on October 13th on The CW.

4. Riverdale (Season 2)

(Photo credit: The CW official website)

If you like teen dramas and thrillers such as Pretty Little Liars, Riverdale is a must-watch for you. Its first season focused on the mystery surrounding Jason Blossom’s death and how the town of Riverdale coped with this loss. However, not everything is what it seems in this seemingly peaceful small town where every person hides a secret. At the end of the season, Jason’s killer was revealed, which changed the lives of everyone in Riverdale. This show combines the perfect mix of teen drama, mean girls, mystery, romance, plot twists, and fashion (*cough* we all want Cheryl Blossom’s wardrobe), elements that once made Pretty Little Liars the favorite TV show for many, myself included. And, if you needed any other reason to watch this show, Cole Sprouse stars as the narrator of the show. You can catch up on Season 1 on Netflix before Riverdale comes back for its second season on October 11th on The CW.  

5. Dynasty

(Photo credit: Facebook.com/DynastyOnTheCW)

This reboot of the 1980s prime time soap opera of the same name is being co-written and executive produced by none other than Gossip Girl series creators, Josh Schwartz and Stephanie Savage. The show centers on the Carringtons, one of the wealthiest families in the United States and the feud between Fallon and her step-mother, Cristal. If it’s anything like the original version, we’re in for a wild ride full of quests for power, affairs, betrayals, schemes, cliffhangers, and love triangles. Dynasty premieres on October 11th on The CW.  

Jennifer Mojica Santana is an undergraduate student at the University of Puerto Rico, Mayaguez Campus (UPRM). She is currently pursuing a degree in English with a concentration in Literature, and minor studies in Project Management and Writing and Communications. Mojica Santana has written for UPRM's chapter of the online magazine Her Campus since March 2015. She served as the chapter's Senior Editor from January 2016 through May 2016. From June 2016 through October 2017, Mojica Santana was the chapter's co-Campus Correspondent and co-Editor-in-Chief. During the summer of 2917, she conducted research at Brown University. Currently, she is a visiting student at Brown University.