This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

It’s October 3rd, and if you’ve seen Mean Girls, you know what that means. Cady Heron, our red-headed protagonist, told her ultimately crush Aaron Samuels what day it was. Little did they know it would be marked on the calendar as Mean Girl’s Day. Since then, during this day, fans remember the movie through its most popular phrases and outfits. Over a decade after its release, the iconic looks of Regina George’s squad remain among us.

Gif Reference: https://goo.gl/images/NcW5no

This year, in particular, is a very special one. It turns out that October 3rd falls on a Wednesday. One of our girls from the squad, Karen Smith, reminds us that on Wednesdays we wear pink, so now people all around the world have come together to show their best pieces of clothes in this color. In order to celebrate this occasion, what better way than to recognize the top 5 things that these girls taught us:

1. High School is Not Similar at All to Real Life:

We obtain our high-school diploma thinking that we’ve achieved so much, and we want more. We have many dreams, and things we plan to do, believing we are completely ready and prepared for whatever crosses on our path. Reality is that we could never be completely ready. We have a whole life ahead of us and a lot to learn. The first step is to accept and understand that we are growing and preparing ourselves for adulthood. Popularity in high school doesn’t guarantee that you have your life figured out.

2. The Truth will ALWAYS Come Out:

Regina George kept a book with photographs and lies of each student and teacher of the school. Cady fell into this game and eventually it bit her in the back. The rumors got out, and not only did she get in a lot of trouble, but she disappointed her loved ones. Actions have consequences. That’s why it’s important to think before acting.

3. Just Be Yourself:

No matter how hard you pretend to be someone you are not, at the end of the day, your true colors will show. If someone doesn’t accept you as you are, turn the page and move on. You are your own person and you deserve to be happy. There is no perfect manual that tells us who we should be. Nobody has the right to shape us like The Plastics and Janice tried to do with Cady.

4. Know When to Apologize:

Sometimes we find it too difficult to recognize when we are wrong. Even though we may know it, we are too proud to accept it. Being wrong is part of being human and it’s okay. It only shows we’re not perfect and that we learn from our mistakes.

5. Don’t Judge a Book By Its Cover:

We’ve heard this phrase many times, maybe because it’s true. What we see on the outside of a person does not always represent what happens on the inside. That’s why it’s important to know people before judging them.

Fetch didn’t happen, but Mean Girls did. This movie could certainly be considered as one of the most culturally resonant high school movies of all times, and it seems like it’s going to keep living in our hearts for a long time.

Born in 1998. Studies Industrial Engineering in the University of Puerto Rico - Mayagüez Campus. Currently in her fourth year. ❝‪Be courageous in the pursuit of what makes your heart pound and what makes you come alive with purpose.❞ — (Camila Cabello)
Fabiola del Valle is 22 y/o English Lit. major studying at UPRM. She currently holds the position of Campus Correspondent and karaoke queen.