5 Reasons Why You Should Watch Power Rangers This Weekend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

Have you already seen Disney’s Beauty and the Beast? Did you already say your goodbyes to Logan? Are you trying to decide what your next movie experience should be? Well, look no further, because I’m about to give you the reasons why Power Rangers should be your next theatre adventure. And worry not, it’s light on the spoilers!

5. It’s genuinely funny

The first thing you need to know about Power Rangers is that it’s a character-focused movie. The action is there – don’t worry! But it’s main focus is getting to know the new Rangers. At times it can get unexpectedly dark, but it thankfully doesn’t go try-hard edgy. Other times it can get cheesy, but it’s all in the Power Rangers spirit without going full camp. What this movie does have a lot of? Heart and you see it as it does its best to balance its Breakfast Club meets super-powers vibe.

But also, it’s actually really funny??? From Billy’s dialogue and Jason’s go-to fight move, from Trini’s interaction with her parents to Zack’s craziness–it’s all so enjoyable. They even sneak-in a few references to other superhero movies and a few gags that seemed to be taking full advantage of their PG-13 rating. Seriously, the beginning of the film has a joke involving a cow that let’s just say…well you gotta see it to believe it. The point is, if nothing else, this movie is a fun watch for all.

4. It’s probably got the most diverse Power Rangers cast…ever?

While the Red Ranger is our typical leading man (in the best way possible!), the rest of our 4/5ths are diverse in ways you can see and ways you may not expect. We have a half-Indian Ranger (Pink), an African-American Ranger (Blue), a Latina/Hispanic Ranger (Yellow) and a Chinese Ranger (Black)–who even gets to briefly speak Mandarin in the film

Also, the [redacted] Ranger is [redacted] and the [redacted] Ranger is [redacted]. Trust, both of these reveals are great character moments and best left unspoiled!

3. The Nostalgia™ Is Real, You Guys

The movie isn’t afraid to give us some of the most iconic phrases from the show, one of the most iconic sequences, and a music cue that is sure to bring one hell of a smile to all of the original fans in the audience.

And also, there might be a cool cameo? Maybe? Maybe.

2. Mythology

Any good franchise starter has to establish its universe. To do so it needs solid world-building that, no matter how fantastical the universe is, can be believed due to them grounding their characters in reality. Power Rangers not only excels at this, but they also add some really cool new twists to the Rangers’ overall mythology that give depth to Zordon and Rita Repulsa like never before. Those first few minutes of the film are crucial you guys, so don’t be late!

1. The Mid-Credits Sequence  

Don’t be late, but also DON’T YOU DARE LEAVE EARLY. There is a mid-credits sequence you will not want to miss.

SERIOUSLY. Power Rangers is overall a really fun film to watch – for both new and old audiences. So, check it out, you won’t regret it.

Stephanie M. Fuentes Álvarez is a sixth year English major at the University of Puerto Rico-Mayagüez Campus. An aspiring writer, she watches copious amounts of television shows in the hopes of one day becoming a possible screenwriter. She considers herself a muse-based poet, a music connoisseur, a professional procrastinator, and a pop-culture junkie.
Claudia is a witchy English Literature and International Affairs major from La Parguera. She's worked in various on-campus projects, such as the MayaWest Writing Project and as a tutor at the English Writing Center. In addition, she's worked at Univision and has also been published in El Nuevo Día and El Post Antillano. When she doesn't have her nose in a book, you can find Claudia tweeting something snarky and pushing boundaries as a Beyoncé expert. Follow her on Twitter and Instagram, @clauuia.