jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Reasons Why You Should Watch Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

There is absolutely no debating that Marvel Studios is the king of comic book movie adaptations. Most of their movies pack plenty of the charm and stellar action that we’ve come to expect from the studio, with some exceptions (I’m looking at you, Iron Man 3), and their newest outing, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, delivers on pretty much everything we’d expect from the sequel to the most unique action films in recent memory. Here are 5 reasons to go and watch this film immediately:

1. Two words: Baby Groot

If you watched the first Guardians film, you may remember Groot (voiced by Vin Diesel) making a heroic sacrifice to save the other Guardians and eventually being re-grown as a baby plant. Baby Groot has grown quite considerately since then and he is not only adorable, he gives the film a lot of heart and provides an excellent opening sequence that will entertain pretty much anyone. He may not be the 7-foot-tall monster he was in the first film, but he can still put up a decent fight and adds a very warm touch to a film about outlaws blowing stuff up every 5 minutes.

2. The cameos are GREAT

We’re not spoiling the cameos for you. Here’s a cat stuck in a hamster ball!

This movie has universal appeal, but it also has a ton of fan service for the hardcore Guardians stans. Most of these moments allude to the future of the franchise and give nods to the origins of the team, with amazing cameos by Sylvester Stallone and of course, Stan Lee, but there are others a few eagle-eyed viewers will be delighted to see. As always, the end-credits sequences give a great look into the potential villains of the next entry in the series, and they are definitely worth researching.

3. It’s a kick to see the gang back together

I’m honestly surprised to say this, but after falling in love with the team during the first film, I wasn’t expecting this film to make me like them even more; but boy, was I wrong. James Gunn dedicated a surprising amount of scenes to develop and flesh out these characters, and their growth as both a team and individuals is palpable. I even shed a tear near the end.  Seriously, what’s up with movies that have Vin Diesel in them and the whole “family” thing?

4. It’s *intense*

After the first film, Star-Lord’s origins are put into question. For those that are acquainted with the comics, it comes as no surprise who Ego is and what his intentions are, but for newer fans, the plot does a good job of cementing who Star-Lord truly is and what his destiny involves. His place in the galaxy and whether or not he chooses to embrace his heritage are compelling enough to make a rather simple overall plot feel grand. A brilliant performance by Kurt Russell doesn’t hurt, either.

5. It’s funny as hell

Much like any other Marvel movie, Guardians Vol. 2 had me cracking up with its smart writing and excellent delivery by the cast. Drax has some of the best moments in Marvel movie history, and this particular film features what is, in my opinion, the best cameo in any Marvel film. It’s such a brilliant moment that no one expects, and the audience at the showing I attended was screaming. There are some misses here and there, particularly with some jokes that feel incomplete, but the hits are there in spades.
Hi there! My name is Jose Horta, and I'm an English major at UPRM! I'm currently in my second year, and i hope to someday study law and open my own firm! My general interests include bartending, cinema and board games.
Her Campus at UPRM