Style > Beauty

5 Life Lessons I’ve Learned from Having Curly Hair

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

For those who don’t have curly hair, good hair days may be seen as a blessing or even as something wonderful, but only those who do have curly hair know how much time, money, and effort it requires to maintain beautiful curls. Here’s what I’ve learned so far:

1.      Just let it be.

As a curly-haired woman, I can assure you that sometimes you got to let your hair go with the flow.

After many hours of working, conditioning your hair, and not getting the result you wanted to achieve, you decide to give up, and often it is the day that you receive the most compliments. You’ve to let  things be the way they are, and as Dory would say, just keep swimming.

2.      After a bad hair day, a good one always comes.

Even though a person might have two bad hair days or even a bad hair week, at the end of the tunnel there is always a light shines and leads you to a good day. Don’t push things; just remember that you can’t have a rainbow without a little rain. A bad hair day is what makes us appreciate the good ones.

3.      Enjoy one day at a time.

When having a good hair day, one feels in debt with the world and has to take a million pictures in order to record this historic moment. Just as we feel the urge to take pictures of our hair on that day, we have to start making the most of everyday, whether it is a good or bad day. It’s our duty to make the most of everyday!

4.      Perseverance is the key!

From trying new products, to washing and conditioning, and even watering your hair every day in order to mold it, the one who persists is the one who gets the victory and the good hair day!

5.      In order to have good results, you have to pay.

Like everything in life, if you want good results, you have to pay, and hair isn’t an exception. Let’s not speak about how expensive products for curly hair can be and let’s cut to the chase. In life, in order to achieve your dreams and goals, it’s a requirement to work hard and sweat. Just like my mom used to tell me, those things that are worth it in life are hard to achieve.

At the end of the day, I’m just so happy and grateful that I have hair that has freedom of speech and usually helps me break the ice. I wouldn’t have any other type of hair than my curls.

21 year-old passionate with the idea of becoming a Chemical Engineer and a Writer. In love with the beach, El Colegio and writing her way through history.   The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched - they must be felt with the heart.  -Helen Keller
English Major at the University of Puerto Rico, Mayagüez Campus. With a minor in Comunications and a minor in Marketing. Interested in all things entertainment and pop culture. Passionate writer and aspiring journalist. Former Campus Correspondent at HC UPRM.