This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

From the time we are born, society affects and helps develop who we become as people. It’s no surprise that differences between generations exist because as the world evolves so do the circumstances of the people growing up in that world. The quality of life today is vastly different than the one from previous generations, and we’re gonna show you all some facts that reflect these differences. 

Baby Boomers

1. The Baby Boomer generation was born between the years 1946-1964.

They are the children of the Silent Generation. This was a generation that grew up during the Great Depression and World War Two. 

1. They get their name from the “baby boom” that occurred in the United States after World War Two.

This was a result of the challenges faced by the US population after both the Great Depression and World War II. Many couples waited to get married and start families until there was stability. This would be seen in the decades after World War II. 

1. The Civil Rights Movement was a formative event  for this generation

With events like the Montgomery Bus Boycott, Brown vs The Board of Education and the Freedom Riders occurring during this period, this generation developed a different perspective towards social justice and equal rights. 

1. Some of the characteristics of this generation is that they are idealistic, optimistic and have a strong work ethic. 

Many of them were raised with the idea of the American Dream, and they strived and worked to reach it. 

1. By the year 2030, most, if not all, Baby Boomers will be 65 years or older. 

According to the US Census, by this year they will become the oldest and largest population in the United States. This gives a view of how the population and society will be in that decade. 

Generation X

1. They were born between the years 1965-1980.

This generation is considered to be the children of the generation that came before the Baby Boomers. Meanwhile others consider them to be the children of older Baby Boomers. 

1. They are often called the “middle child” generation.

The members of this generation were born after the Baby Boomers but before the millennials. This places Generation X between two well known generations, making this name very fitting for them. 

1. They are the first generation to grow up with personal computers.

The Altair, the first personal computer, came into the market in 1974, and much later in 1977, three new computers would arrive. These would include the Apple II, the TRS-80, and the Personal Electronic Transactor (PET); since these were more affordable to the average consumer, they were available in many different places, such as schools and homes. 

1. Other important events that marked their generation were the Fall of the Berlin Wall and The End of the Cold War.

On November 9, 1989, the Berlin Wall came down, and a few years later, the Soviet Union disbanded. This took place at the end of the Cold War, marking the end of a decades long conflict between Russia and the United States. 

1. This generation is characterized by being adaptable, independent and self-sufficient. 

The members of this generation developed their independence and self-sufficiency because many of them were raised by two working parents, which caused them to be alone as kids for long periods of time. They were also flexible because of the number of social changes they have experienced throughout their lifetimes. 

Millennial

1. They are the children of Baby Boomers! 

The boomers sure had fun with this batch. The millennial generation was born between 1981 and 1996, right when boomers would have been entering their twenties and settling down for a family life. It makes the popular meme “Ok Boomer” that much more relatable with the millennials are fighting with their parents! 

1. Millennials have some big numbers—they are the largest generation worldwide!

Millennials have officially surpassed Baby Boomers, and are now considered to be the largest current generation. There’s currently over 72.1 million millennials and 71.6 Baby Boomers. A close race for sure!

1. They make up over a third of all vegans!

While veganism was practiced beforehand, millennials really boosted the vegan market when they decided to abandon animal products. Right now, there’s about 1,474 in the United States alone. 

1. They are considered to be narcissists.

While the official moniker is ‘Millennial’, this generation is also known as the “Me Me Me Generation”. They grew up with constant praise from their parents, so they now know what they want and know what they have to do to get it. They’re the children of baby boomers, so of course they have to impress. 

1. They are the most educated generation.

Millennials are said to have been able to get a better education than their parents and grandparents, with about thirty-nine percent of the generation having a bachelor’s degree or higher. 

Generation Z

1. Things are changing, and Gen Z sure does like this!

With previous generations, things that were different or frowned upon were treated harshly, but Gen Z have accepted these changes with open hearts. Gay, genderfluid and/or single parent? Gen Z is beside you! 

1. One in six people in Gen Z identify as LGBTQIA+

With the legalization of gay marriage in 2010, LGBQIA+ in media has been steadily growing. With this representation, Gen Z has been able to identify themselves more quickly, and more securely, than other generations. 

1. Born between 1997 and 2012, Gen Z is one with the internet—they grew up with it!

With Youtube being created around 2005 and Instagram around 2010, it’s no wonder this generation knows the ins and outs of social media platforms. This means that they truly know a lot about the world and are always on the internet learning more. 

1. They are the most ethnically diverse generation there is.

About forty-eight percent of Gen Z is non-caucasian. That’s almost half of the generation, which proves that the further we get, the more ethnically diverse modern society will become. 

1. They might not like it, but they are a lot like Millennials!

Millennials and Gen Z share many similarities in how they approach society: they both strive for change and a better quality of life. They also witnessed the rise of the internet, although some members of Gen Z might have still been wearing diapers when that happened. 

As we see, the events that occur in each decade influence the new generation. This influences their worldview and how they respond to adversity and challenges as they grow up. Therefore, we could consider that each generation develops as a reaction to the previous one. But this does not mean that the previous generations cease to have value or merit as soon as the following one commences. Each generation can teach us a lesson about life in general and in turn, the newer, more recent generations can teach them new lessons. This way, each generation’s individual perspective can help us understand the world we live in and find the things that make us human.

Gabriela Quiñones is a writer for Her Campus UPRM. She writes about local places to visit in Puerto Rico and curious things about languages. Gabriela has also participated in the Young Adults for the Environment (YRE) competition. Here, she won first in the local competition and third in the international competition. Her article about the importance of the sand dunes of Puerto Rico has appeared in YRE’s webpage. She is currently completing a bachelor’s in English with a concentration in Linguistics, along with a minor in International Relations and another in Computerized Information Systems. Outside of writing, Gabriela participates in an interdisciplinary investigation concerning ambiguity in language and artificial intelligence. In her free time, Gabriela enjoys knitting and crocheting, two hobbies that help her destress. She also enjoys reading and learning more about the topics that interest her. Gabriela is also an avid Trekkie; she credits the characters for giving her the push to try out new things.
3rd Year UPRM | Editor | 20 Arts in English: Linguistics