This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

We all need a good laugh sometimes. And during college, when your days are often filled with too many deadlines and not enough time to meet them, a good laugh starts to become more and more of a rare occurrence. However, even when the tasks are piling up and time is short, taking a break is not only about raising your spirits, but also about giving your mind a necessary rest. A study by the West University of Timișoara in 2022 showed that 25-30 micro-breaks are effective at reducing fatigue and result in higher performance.

So to lift your spirits and give you some needed relaxation, we have chosen one comedy show for each major streaming service that is guaranteed to be an easy watch and make for an ideal, well-deserved break.

Netflix: Derry Girls

Set in Northern Ireland, Derry Girls follows the lives of five teenage friends in the mid-1990s as they attend Our Lady Immaculate College, a fictional Catholic all-girls school in Derry. With a 99% score on Rotten Tomatoes, Derry Girls was incredibly well-received by its audience following its release in 2018 and won the International Emmy for Best Comedy Series in 2023. This show includes memorable characters and an amazing cast. It is perfect for anyone who loves quirky and outrageous humor in tumultuous times.

Already watched? Try The Good Place or Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt.

Disney +: The Muppets (2015)

Filmed in a similar style to The Office, The Muppets (2015) follows our favorite group of puppets in their day-to-day struggles behind the scenes of Miss Piggy’s new late-night talk show. This show features The Muppet Show’s characteristic humor, filled with running gags and witty punchlines, along with multiple guest stars like Elizabeth Banks, Josh Groban, and Imagine Dragons. The Muppets is perfect for anyone looking for a lighthearted watch with familiar characters and an easy laugh.

Already watched? Try Black-ish or Boy Meets World.

Hulu: Abbott Elementary

Winner of 4 Emmys and 3 Golden Globes, Abbott Elementary has become the new comedy hit. Another mockumentary sitcom, this series follows the cast of teachers at Abbott Elementary as they face challenges in their underfunded public school. The show’s charm comes from its lovable cast of characters, unique plotlines, classic humor, and heartfelt story. Thirty minute episodes also make it easy to watch this show while you eat a quick dinner or have a break between classes.

Already watched? Try Not Dead Yet or New Girl.

Max: The Sex Lives of College Girls

Starring Mean Girls (2024)’s Reneé Rapp, The Sex Lives of College Girls follows four freshman roommates as they adapt to the hardships of college life and their rapidly changing sex lives. Although occasionally infuriating, these lovable characters make the watching experience a fun and chaotic one, filled with laugh-out-loud moments.

Already watched? Try Friends or The Nanny.

Prime Video: Jury Duty

With a unique premise, Jury Duty is a reality TV show that follows solar contractor Ronald Gladden, who has been called to be a juror at a court trial and who doesn’t know it’s all a hoax. Everyone in the courtroom is an actor… except for him. The show’s comedy stems from Ronald’s reactions to the wacky situations in this fake trial as he interacts with strange jurors, an odd crime, and James Marsden (playing himself). Hilarious and heartwarming, Jury Duty is the perfect fast-watch to restore a little of your faith in humanity.

Already watched? Try Good Omens or Schitt’s Creek.

Sofia Camacho is a fifth-year Industrial Engineering student at the University of Puerto Rico, Mayaguez Campus. She is also pursuing a minor in Writing & Communications, as she one day hopes to write her own novel. Sofia has been a member of Her Campus at UPRM since 2020, writing articles about media and entertainment. In her spare time, she loves to read and write, and to spend time with her friends.