5 Animated Shows to Binge If You Loved Avatar: The Last Airbender

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

Avatar: The Last Airbender had a huge resurgence when Netflix added it to their selections this past summer, becoming the #1 most watched show on the streaming site for 60 consecutive days. New and old fans alike revisited this well-beloved Nickelodeon series and experienced the same love for the unique world-building, interesting storyline, and well-developed characters. However, once the Fire Lord has been defeated and the show ends, many fans ask themselves the same question: what do I watch now? If you’re searching for a new show on Netflix to get you over your Avatar: The Last Airbender hangover, try any of these 5 animated series that are guaranteed to keep you watching.

The Legend of Korra

“If you look for the light, you can often find it. But if you look for the dark, that is all you will ever see.”

A spinoff of the original series, The Legend of Korra is an obvious choice for fans of Avatar: The Last Airbender. Following Korra, the new strong-willed young Avatar, as she struggles to stop an uprising against benders and restore peace, this show introduces a new team of characters and a fresh storyline into a modernized version of the fantasy world. Even as it makes tribute to the original series with easter eggs, such as the reappearance of beloved characters, Korra’s story is all her own. However, keep in mind this show may be considered more mature due to its themes, such as politics and mental health. If you miss Avatar: The Last Airbender, The Legend of Korra will help you return to its universe, while simultaneously enveloping you in its new characters and storylines.

The Dragon Prince

“A fair system should be fair no matter the accident of my birth.”

Created by Aaron Ehasz, head writer of Avatar: The Last Airbender, The Dragon Prince is perfect for anyone who enjoys magical quests and high-fantasy universes. When princes Callum and Ezran discover the egg of the dragon prince, which was believed to be destroyed, they set out to return it to its mother with the help of Rayla, an elf assassin. Within its unique world, The Dragon Prince manages to be funny and light-hearted, while also tackling darker topics, such as the price of war and revenge. The Dragon Prince’s  complex characters and heart-warming story, as well as the appearance of some familiar voices, are guaranteed to delight and captivate fans of Avatar: The Last Airbender.

She-Ra and the Princesses of Power

“You inspired us. You inspired me. Not because it was your destiny, but because you never let fear stop you. And now, I choose to be brave.”

A remake of the 1985 series She-Ra: Princesses of Power, this show brings a modern and diverse twist on the original story and characters. She-Ra and the Princesses of Power follow soldier Adora after she discovers a sword that reveals her powers as the legendary princess She-Ra, making her an enemy of the Horde, the army where she was raised. The show has been praised for its loveable protagonists and the strong relationships they create, but even more for its villains, specifically Catra, whose complex morality and intricate character arc is perfect for fans of Zuko and Azula. Despite its colorful animation and central theme of friendship, this series doesn’t shy away from topics like abuse, PTSD, and grief. If you’re in the mood for a hopeful and powerful story, watch She-Ra and the Princesses of Power and immerse yourself in the world of Etheria.

Kipo and the Age of Wonderbeasts

“This is our purpose now, this is our time! We don’t run anymore. We help people. ”

With its third and final season released this past month, Kipo and the Age of Wonderbeasts is an easy and short pick for anyone searching for a fun and light-hearted series. The show begins when Kipo, a girl raised in the safety of an underground burrow, finds herself lost on the surface and is trying to make her way back home. On her journey, she meets friends and makes enemies, all while discovering new things about herself. If you enjoyed watching Team Avatar’s friendship develop throughout their difficult journey, you will definitely grow fond of Kipo and her friends as they travel through this post-apocalyptic world. This series’ imaginative setting, bright and colorful animation, and amazing soundtrack all add to the show’s surreal experience. Kipo and the Age of Wonderbeasts is perfect for lovers of Avatar: The Last Airbender’s imaginative environment and found family trope.

Carmen Sandiego

“I realized stealing isn’t a game, it does hurt people…. Especially when you’re willing to steal lives.”

Based on the 1985 video game Where in the World Is Carmen Sandiego?, the newest addition to this famous franchise is the Netflix original series Carmen Sandiego, which gives Carmen a new backstory and motivation. In this adaptation, Carmen Sandiego is an elusive thief who recovers stolen goods from V.I.L.E., a secret organization that profits off valuable items, and returns them to their respectful owners. As Carmen searches for the truth about her past, she must also avoid being caught by both law enforcement and V.I.L.E. with the help of her new team. A predominant theme in the show is growing from your mistakes and choosing to do what is right, a topic that is also discussed and is an important part of Avatar: The Last Airbender. This action-packed series is filled with heists, fights, and chases, while also taking time to develop the characters and their relationships. If you’re interested in a fun show with an edge of mystery, consider watching Carmen Sandiego and learn the secrets behind the story.

Whenever you’re missing Avatar: The Last Airbender and are searching for a new series to binge on Netflix, consider watching any of these animated shows and be ready to have a great time!

Sofia Camacho is a fifth-year Industrial Engineering student at the University of Puerto Rico, Mayaguez Campus. She is also pursuing a minor in Writing & Communications, as she one day hopes to write her own novel. Sofia has been a member of Her Campus at UPRM since 2020, writing articles about media and entertainment. In her spare time, she loves to read and write, and to spend time with her friends.
B.A. in Political Sciences from the University of Puerto Rico at Mayaguez, currently pursuing an M.A. in Journalism at the Río Piedras campus. Fan of pop culture, media analysis, and Taylor Swift.