This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

Recently, it has become very clear that Puerto Rico’s independent music scene has been taken over by musicians exploring the fields of electronic music, hip hop, trap, R&B, reggaeton, and dancehall. However, this isn’t really that strange as the island has been exposed to these sounds from the very beginning, and the easy access to the internet has made it even easier to find more music and instruments that can help others express themselves through these mediums. Another musician to come out of the scene recently has been ERRE, who in mid-August released his EP “3:18,” a project that teleports listeners to the night life with a great blend of trap and R&B.

(art for the project)

Starting the project is “Del Hoyo,” a mixture of lyrical rap and R&B set to a trap beat about overcoming one’s internal struggles. Afterwards, the project moves on to “Si Suena” featuring the talents of Vento Alejandro and Nebu, a tune which explores communication in romantic relationships. Then the EP closes its first half with “Bien Asi,” a blend of trap and R&B that will have listeners feeling like they are slowly driving through the night without a care in the world.

(picture of ERRE as found on his Facebook)

As “3:18” moves on we are treated to “Canciones de Amor,” another fusion of trap and R&B that explores familiar territory for both genres as it focuses on the subject of heartbreak. To finish the EP in proper form, ERRE gets together with Vento Alejandro and Nebu once more to provide “Pasan Las Horas.” Like many good movies, this last tune perfectly sums up the project at hand and makes listeners want to go back and listen once again with its smooth guitars, vocals, and relaxed atmosphere.

(picture of Vento Alejandro as found on his Facebook page)

ERRE’s “3:18” is a perfect blend of trap and R&B that will have listeners replaying the project over and over. Moreover, the relaxing project, aided by the talented musicians Vento Alejandro and Nebu, is a great visual presentation of storytelling and a demonstration of ERRE’s potential to become a mainstream artist.

Listen to “3:18” on Spotify and Soundcloud

Fernando E. E. Correa González is the author behind over 20 self-published poetry books. He has been published by literary magazines & journals [Id]entidad, El Vicio del Tintero, Sábanas Magazine, Smaeralit and Tonguas. Other than writing, Correa is also a filmmaker, podcaster, photographer and master’s student. He currently lives in his native Puerto Rico.
Fabiola del Valle is 22 y/o English Lit. major studying at UPRM. She currently holds the position of Campus Correspondent and karaoke queen.