This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

Christmas time has finally arrived for us college students! After burning over half our neurons with all-nighters, we have a much deserved break to spend with our loved ones, and hope we get something under the tree. Free food, gifts, and lots of love can be felt around the globe once that clock hits midnight on the 25th of December, but afterwards it can get a little boring.

That’s why, my gift to you is the ultimate Christmas Movies (Binge Watching Edition). From the classics like The Grinch to the just released Netflix original, A Christmas Prince, which can either make you want to love it or hate it.

1. How the Grinch Stole Christmas

The Grinch, a guy who scared us when we were little, but we totally relate to now, tries to teach a whole village the real meaning of Christmas, while making a friend out of a five-year old named Cindy Lou who is skeptical about  her family’s  Christmas traditions.

2. The Polar Express

A young boy (the primary character)  is dubious about the existence of Santa Claus is taken in a wild ride on the Polar Express train, where he gets the most amazing gift of all…a reindeer! Nah, I’m kidding, though he does meet Santa and starts believing in Christmas.

3. Jack Frost

My all-time favorite, Jack Frost. If you’re one to cry with sentimental movies: BEWARE! A loving family suffers a tragic loss, leaving Charlie Frost,the kid, alone. Aware that his life has changed, he no longer finds fun in life, until Frost gets the second change he longed for, to say goodbye to that person he loved the most.

4. The Nightmare Before Christmas

What can I say, Tim Burton is a master at moviemaking, and The Nightmare Before Christmas is a journey we should all take, regardless of your age. Jack Skellington is the king of Halloween, but once he learns there’s other holidays around, he finds himself curious about his identity. Can he be the King of Christmas too??

5. Elf

Nobody, and I repeat nobody loves Christmas more than Will Ferrell in Elf. After being adopted by elves in the North Pole, Buddy (Will Ferrell) never imagines himself different from the rest, until his dad tells him his real father is somewhere in the United States. Confused and searching for his identity, Buddy teaches everyone a lesson of love, compassion and SANTA.

6. The Santa Clause

After accidentally making Santa trip from his roof, Scott Calvin puts on the red suit while joking around with his son. Unaware of the “Santa Clause,” he finds himself straying from his old life and assuming that of a big bellied, white beard, red suit-wearing kind of man.

And now, ladies and gentleman some oldies from our childhood, worthy of being watched with friends, family or that cute chubby cat you passed on the street yesterday afternoon:

7. Disney’s A Christmas Carol

Ebenezer Scrooge is a bitter old man who has no holiday spirit at all, and just berates his clerk and nephew for their cheerful view of things. Little did he know that his late business partner would visit him in order to warn him of the visit of three ghosts. The ghost of Christmas present, past and future, takes lil old Scrooge on a journey to transform his bitterness.

8. Frosty the Snowman

A snowman  a group of kids made is accidentally brought to life by a discarded magical hat. Everything is peaches and cream, until Professor Hinkle, a greedy magician, wants Frosty’s hat. The kids and Frosty must not only evade being captured by the professor, but also help Frosty get to the North Pole in time, or else he will melt….

9. The Search for Santa Paws

If you’re an absolute dog lover, then this movie is a must. A talking golden retriever puppy, a little girl and the journey to make old Saint Nick regain his lost memory. Will they be able to save Christmas on time?

10. Mickey’s Once Upon a Christmas

Mickey and his friends tell three stories full of adventure, love and emotions, that are sure to melt your heart this holiday time.

11. Rudolph the Rednosed Reindeer

One of the few kids movies that celebrate the magic of being unique, different and never giving up in the face of adversity. Join Rudolph the reindeer that saved not only Christmas, but also the hearts of many.

Or perhaps a little bit of romance…

12. A Christmas Prince (2017)

A-ha! Netflix’s new original movie came out almost a month ago, and it’s something we must talk about. Although it starts off fairly innocent, following the life of an aspiring  journalist, it quickly takes on a few twist and turns.  A lie is uncovered and will change the course of the entire royal family, and of course there’s the typical Christmasy ball with the charming prince. This movie makes you want to either cringe behind a pillow up to the very end or…make you want to know when the sequel will be coming out.

13. Home Alone

What is Christmas without Kevin? I never want to find out, although many of the problems faced in Home Alone would’ve been easily solved with a smartphone, along with a tweet or a Facebook post, we all still enjoy that pranks and iconic phrases Macaulay Culkin stamped in our brains with.

14. The Family Stone (2005)

An extremely diverse family is meeting their favorite son’s girlfriend, who is an very uptight woman during the holidays. Truths are revealed, hearts are broken and rewired…and the spirit of family love is rekindled in the most unimaginable way.

15.  The Holiday

Do you feel like a workaholic  completely invested in crushing over a man that doesn’t even know you exist? If so, then this is the movie for you! Two women embark in a life-altering decision when they exchange homes, and end up falling in love with local men. Can they make it work knowing they live continents apart? That’s up to you to find out.

16. Love Actually (2003)

Richard Curtis’s Christmas-themed romantic comedy, brings to screen the lives of eight different couples and their struggles with both love and loss. Set in London, England it is a worthy of your marathon watch  list.

17. Mean Girls

If you haven’t seen Mean Girls, they you are most likely an alien. Ever since its debut in 2004 it has been a fan favorite, and must-watch during the holidays.

It follows the life of Cady Heron, a teenage girl that just moved from Africa to Illinois and gets the chance to enroll in public school for the first time in her life. She unwittingly finds herself inside the school’s elite group, The Plastics and must get herself out or else.

18. Call Me Claus (2001)

Who says Santa can only be played by a guy? Well, Whoopi Goldberg transforms herself into Santa herself, after St. Nick faces mandatory retirement and must find a replacement.

19. The Mistletoe Inn

Based on the bestselling novel The Mistletoe Inn (2015) by Richard Paul Evans, it tells the story of a beautiful aspiring romance novelist who is dumped by her also novelist boyfriend, and she finds herself signing up for a romance writing retreat at a Inn in Vermont. As destiny would have it, she will find herself and what her heart really wants.

20. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone

Because the BEST is saved for last, we cannot forget Harry Potter’s first Christmas at Hogwarts. Although, it is not intentionally holidayish, it gives us a space to retreat into the world of magic, where Harry finally finds a family, a place to call home and one hell of a journey into discovering who he really is.

This is the end….sadly, but if your all time favorite movie is not mentioned above, please don’t hesitate to let us know! Just comment under the post who knows, you could be saving a bored soul anywhere in the world.

Happy Holidays guys!!!

Currently, on her last year as a double major in English Literature and Nursing, Thay has done a little bit of everything in her life. Her biggest dream is to write a book about her family's history in hopes of sharing it with the world. Published her first short story "The Secret of Himself" in Sabanas Magazine this year. Future  antropologist, loves to travel and foster pets and still searches for her one true voice in writing.
English Major at the University of Puerto Rico, Mayagüez Campus. With a minor in Comunications and a minor in Marketing. Interested in all things entertainment and pop culture. Passionate writer and aspiring journalist. Former Campus Correspondent at HC UPRM.