10 Things to Expect at Every Latino Household on Thanksgiving

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

The most wonderful time of the year has arrived, the Holidays in all their glory. Right after Halloween, or sometimes even before Halloween has even passed, we start to see Christmas decorations on every store available.

For Latino families, the holidays are a good way to see family you spend a year avoiding, or to see that tía who squeezes your cheeks so hard you wish you had avoided her. Latino families celebrate even the smallest of occasions, even if it is to welcome back a family member that comes home for the holidays, so it’s no surprise we go all out from November to January.

For me, there are ten things that always happen or I expect from the holidays every year after year.

1. Going to a family party to see your favorite cousin  

2.    Hugging and kissing each and every member in the party as you greet them

Every single person in the party gets at least. a hi and a hug.

3.    That one family member who asks you about college or the novio/a

There’s always that one family member asking those questions we dread.

4.     Dressing up just to sit at the living room

Somehow it happens. You get all dressed up just to sit in your living room.

5.    A party with “just few of the family” turns into an all-out banger with your whole barrio

6. When the tias and your mom get together to roast everyone at the party.

Nobody is safe.

7. When your mom starts to save plates to take home.

Leftovers are the best, leftovers are life

8.  The loudness of the parties

Let’s be honest, our quiet neighbors probably hate us because we cannot be quiet.

9.  Your mom saying she’s leaving, but an hour later you are still at the party.

All of us can relate to this one way or another

And final but not the less important:

10.  It’s family time

No matter how loud the party gets or how tired you are, you get to spend time with your family, the real meaning of the holidays.

Puerto Rican girl that loves food, music and books. 
Claudia is a witchy English Literature and International Affairs major from La Parguera. She's worked in various on-campus projects, such as the MayaWest Writing Project and as a tutor at the English Writing Center. In addition, she's worked at Univision and has also been published in El Nuevo Día and El Post Antillano. When she doesn't have her nose in a book, you can find Claudia tweeting something snarky and pushing boundaries as a Beyoncé expert. Follow her on Twitter and Instagram, @clauuia.