10 of the Most Iconic Female Leads in Film

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

By Karla Marrero

1. Mulan, Mulan

Mulan is definitely one of the most badass Disney princesses out there. This scene specifically, is compelling because cutting one’s hair in ancient China meant being banished or rejected from their home. Knowing that her father was not going to survive when he was summoned by the government to serve in the army, she decided to take his place. Mulan felt as though she was not physically or mentally strong enough, she persevered, trained harder than ever, and ended up being top of her class. She also managed to climb a pole with weights on her arms, which is impressive because most of us can’t even climb out of bed. After exposed as a woman and banished, she still didn’t give up. Mulan came back better than ever and saved China!

2. The Bride, Kill Bill Vols. I & II

Betrayed by the father of her unborn child in the day of their wedding, Uma Thurman’s “The Bride”  ends up in a coma for four years. When she wakes up, she swears revenge on those who wronged her. The movie tells the story of  a vengeful woman’s rampage as she faces alone a group of deadly assassins. It all boils down to a battle that puts two tough women against each other, a confrontation that puts to shame all other half-assed catfights between ordinary women.

3. Katniss Everdeen, The Hunger Games saga

Ever since her father died, Katniss was the primary breadwinner in the house. She hunted to bring food for her family and was pretty resourceful when times were tough. There’s also the fact that she sacrificed herself to save her sister from being killed in the Hunger Games and by the end of her story, she takes down an entire government. So even when the odds weren’t in her favor, she managed to bring hope to the masses and start a revolution.

4. Agent Gracie Hart, Miss Congeniality

Sandra Bullock’s Gracie Hart was a devoted FBI officer who never cared about her looks, fashion or beauty until she was assigned for an undercover mission at a beauty pageant. I think we can all relate to her when at a Starbucks, she played the FBI card and told everyone it was “an emergency” or that she was there for “official business”, but really, just wanted to cut in line. This is something that I would totally do if I could. Gracie broke the pageant stereotypes and reminded us that no matter  women are strong enough to have any profession they choose.

5. Margaret Thatcher, The Iron Lady

“In politics, If you want anything said, ask a man. If you want anything done, ask a woman.” -Margaret Thatcher

The Iron Lady is a historical British film based on the real life of Britain’s first female prime minister, Margaret Thatcher. Serving from 1979-1990, the iconic figure brought up her country to a political and economic stage like no other minister before her could ever do. When asked what she would name her memoirs, she said “Undefeated.” Margaret was used to winning, she won three general elections and she would have won a fourth time if it wasn’t for the members of her own party that betrayed her. To appeal more to the masses she was open to change her hair and sense of style but she insisted that her beloved pearls were there to stay! (Yes, Thatcher was always making it clear that she was in charge).

6. Holly Golightly, Breakfast at Tiffany’s

Audrey Hepburn’s Holly Golightly is the perfect representation of the New York chic. With iconic  looks and carefree spirit, Holly Golightly is an independent woman who does not need to bind herself to a man in order to feel complete. Holly is famous for getting in trouble, throwing parties in her apartment (which her many suitors pay for), and breaking hearts, all while trying to figure out what she wants from life.

7. Agent Evelyn Salt, Salt

There is definitely never a dull moment in Salt, a thriller jampacked with ridiculous stunts and a plot that will leave you at the edge of your seat. Played by Angelina Jolie, Evelyn Salt is a CIA officer who swore to support and defend the constitution of the United States from foreign and domestic threats. Her loyalty is questioned when she is accused of being a Russian agent and decides to go on the run to clear her name. Salt’s effort to clear her name and defend herself arouses questions about her real motives and the truth behind her identity, “Who is Salt?”.

8. The cast of The Help

In a time where women were supposed to stay at home and cater to their husbands, Skeeter Phelan, portrayed by Emma Stone, broke the social norms. Set in 1960s Jackson Mississippi, Skeeter’s aspiration was to be a successful writer, but at the time to be a writer was a man’s job. Skeeter came up with the idea to write a book from the perspective of two local maids played by Viola Davis and Octavia Spencer. These women were revolutionary because, at a time when black women were submissive and dominated by white people, they spoke up even though it might have costed them their jobs or lives.

9. Hermione Granger, the Harry Potter series

There are endless reasons to love Hermione Granger. She’s smart, brave, and sassy when you least expect her to be. From the moment Hermione entered Harry and Ron’s carriage on the Hogwarts Express, she changed the entire series. She was never afraid to speak her mind even though people made fun of her or thought she was weird.  “It’s LeviOsa not LeviosA”.  People always thought she was a goody-two-shoes who sucked up to teachers, but let’s not forget she also set their robes on fire. Oh, and she also punched Draco Malfoy in the face,something that should’ve happened a long time ago.

10. Elle Woods, Legally Blonde

What better way of getting over an ex than getting a law degree from Harvard University? Legally Blonde’s stereotypical blonde sorority girl turned lawyer will definitely be one of the best character transformation of all time. Iconic for using “The Bible” (an issue Cosmopolitan Magazine) to win a murder case. Elle Woods taught us many things: never let a breakup drag you down, girls need to stick together, and the iconic method for picking up a guy “the bend and snap.” Graduating from Harvard is an accomplishment on its own, but the fact that Elle Woods became valedictorian is an inspiration to us all.

Her Campus at UPRM