‘Yeh emotional scene hai!’ said a Bollywood fan at some point

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

‘Yeh emotional scene hai!’ said a Bollywood fan at some point.

For the past hundred years or so, in the great country that is India (Hindustan or Bharat for the locals) a singular movie industry has become a cinematic force on its own: Bollywood.  It’s name a mix between its American counterpart Hollywood, and the formerly named city of Mumbai, Bombay, this cinematic industry is renowned for its mainly musical type films of the life and times of Indians past or present. All in an array of sparkles, killer dance moves and all the colors of the rainbow merged into an epic event.   

Bombay was initially a reference to the name Bombaim, given to the city by the Portuguese during their domain. After India was given its independence by the British, by 1995 the country’s government took it as their task to change all the colonial names of many cities and regions in India, but never quite managed to get rid of the “good bay” in Bollywood.  

By now, Bollywood has made its presence known in other countries around the world. Slumdog Millionaire, probably the only Indian based movie to have come to Puerto Rican shores, sadly does not count as Bollywood. The movie does reference Bollywood heavily by having renowned actors like Anil Kapoor and Irrfan Khan and an awesome dance sequence at the end, including a surprise chaste kiss which is a blessed rarity in Indian cinema. Hollywood, in its part has not had equal entrance into India, though it is slowly making its way with the current media exposure. But, as much as American films grow to dominate over those in other countries, it’s like Shahrukh Khan, India’s renowned King of Bollywood, once said in an interview in regards to the Hollywood takeover: “Unless they have six songs in the film, they’re not competing with us.” Indians are some of the biggest moviegoers of the world which help in the cinema’s sustainability and it’s them, the fans, who decide what they want to watch.

Now music is fundamental to the films since it is often the key to expressing characters’ emotions in vivid clarity or an important change in their development.  And what better way of expression than through song and dance? Sure, you have to consider that this is most probably taking place in someone’s imagination when suddenly everyone is following a choreographed dance mix in the middle of a karva chauth celebration (the steps might be a little more difficult than your usual side to side group merengue for this to happen in reality), but it’s what makes it fun.  Seeing their happy head-shaking and intricate hand signs show a wonderfully new culture that you had barely heard mentioned before in history class. 

Bollywood films make sure you know and feel (more than anything) the values and morals carried in Indian society. They demonstrate themselves in a way that it’s understanding and and relatable, thus what makes their slightly melodramatic acting, emotionally filled plot twists and not-so subliminal remarks work in a three hour long spectacle with a cliff-hanging intermission right in the middle of it. It’s a roller-coaster ride that keeps you guessing whether running through a field of mustard flowers to your beloved was worth it as you struggle against your dad’s promise to marry you to another man, or how marrying a Muslim emperor will change the fate of all religions in Hindustan. Yeah, they can be that epic.

Genre wise, Bollywood has a little bit of everything too. 

• Epic historical films like Aśoka (pronounced “a-shok”) and Jodhaa Akbar (Muslim emperor reference)
  • Comedies such as Happy New Year and Aiyyaa (for those who know and are part of the ‘sempai-kowhai’ relationship, this movie is for you)
  • Action thriller films like Bang Bang! and the Dhoom trilogy (a little patience with the action sequences, though. The realism is optional here)
  • Dramas (mostly romantic) the likes of Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham and Goliyon Ki Rasleela Ram-Leela (or Ram-Leela for short). The name created a controversy between religious leaders upon its release so they had to specify, which meant a longer title. 

Even if we millennials tend to avoid old movies, i.e. movies before the 2000’s unless they’re Disney movies, 90’s Bollywood films are a must see. Not only was this decade a historical turning-point in Indian cinema, it also carried some of the most memorable and timeless films in the country. Films like Kuch Kuch Hota Hai (they had the title song on repeat as much as Micheal Jackson’s Thriller on MTV), Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam (just look for “Nimbooda Nimbooda” on Youtube. Aishawarya Rai’s chulería is enough to make you watch the movie), Dil Se (goodness that ending), Dil To Pagal Hai (Madhuri Dixit’s kathak dance is on point here) and, last but not least, Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge, (field of mustard flowers reference) India’s longest running film to date (it’s legal to drink now #21yearsofDDLJ) completely redefined the role of the romantic hero, it’s included in the “1001 Movies To Watch Before You Die” list and raised people’s expectations on men to a whole new level: Nothing below Raj Malhotra is acceptable in a love life. 

So yes, Bollywood might seem too dramatic, the plots are both predictable yet flabbergastingly not and you need the patience and interest to sit for three hours straight on your sofa or bed. At least take a bathroom/snack break at the intermission to continue the (literal) two hours and fifty-nine minute movie. However, they are worth it and there are so many movies to choose from that depends on whether he’ll realize he had been in love with his college best friend before she’s married off to another guy or gawk at Hrithik Roshan’s dance moves in almost every single movie he has been in (or simply “alimentar la pupila” with the beauty of his abs), you won’t regret it. There’s always a Bollywood movie just right for you.

Disclaimer: 4 out of the 5 90’s movie mentioned here have Shahrukh Khan as the protagonist.  It was not done on purpose, only those that are considered to be some of the best were recommended and he just happens to be in them because he’s an amazing actor with a big cute nose.

“Bade bade deshon mein, aisi chotti chotti baatein hoti rethi hai, Señorita” (‘In big places, small things always happen, Señorita’). –Raj Malhotra

Photo credits:

tumblr.com

buzzfeed.com

Student (hoping) to finish her bachellor's degree in English Literature while "secretely" belly dancing. Enjoys humming along to Simran and Raj's love song, "Tujhe dekha toh yeh janaa sanam..." (photo by @unatazademelaza)