Why Now Is the Perfect Time to Learn How to Play an Instrument

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

Remember the old recorder flute you played in elementary school? What about that second hand guitar you bought years ago? (you know, the one lying in the dusty depths of your closet).  If you’ve even remotely considered restoring your old instrument’s former glory, or starting your journey with a new one, now is the perfect time to do so.

It’s no surprise that the COVID-19 pandemic has heavily impacted the music industry from a general perspective. It’s left many of us quarantined at home: our personal bubble of work, studies, entertainment and most kinds of relationships. However, spending this much time in a seemingly “isolated” environment is a great opportunity to invest in self-care (yes, that includes learning new skills to take a break from life’s everyday hassles). But, why start with an instrument?

1. It stimulates your brain

Playing an instrument requires dealing with multiple senses at a time, such as touch, vision and (especially) hearing, which is why it’s the perfect activity to develop and improve coordination and muscle memory. When practicing, reading sheet music or simply jamming along by ear, you’re actively using both left and right sides of the brain, meaning you’re engaging in an activity that is creative as well as analytical.

2. Practice builds a habit

Initial interest, while crucial in learning a new skill, is not everything: wanting to improve takes a great deal of commitment. Just like training for a marathon, learning an instrument means separating time to put in the work. Bit by bit, it’s a process that teaches perseverance through patience; a mindset that can be applied to pretty much any goal in life (think Mr. Miyagi’s wax on, wax off technique). Implementing positive habits into your schedule, especially in today’s challenging times, can provide you with a sense of discipline and purpose.

3. Virtual opportunities to collaborate

While the global pandemic has obstructed many live concerts, and in most cases, prevented people from physically jamming together, it definitely hasn’t stopped the will to do so. The necessity of collaborating and sharing musical ideas has, if anything, increased; a fact best observed in the development of apps and tools that allow virtual collaboration opportunities, regardless of skill level. Both TikTok and the Acapella app are great for easy split screen videos, where you can collaborate with friends or play along to musical challenges. Need some feedback on your original music? For production, podcasting or beatmaking, Soundtrap, which functions as a Digital Audio Workstation (or DAW for short) facilitates real-time recording and editing between creators through an online, user-friendly platform.

4. It’s a creative outlet

Being stuck indoors, it’s easy to spend hours on social media, an activity that more often than not leaves us feeling even more isolated. On top of that, and besides all the derived physical strains related to eyesight and posture, excessive time spent on social media is time that could be best used to relax, meditate or simply create. Music is an ideal space to do so, allowing you to connect to your emotions by playing whatever you feel like playing, reducing stress and anxiety along the way.

5. It’s never too late

Last but not least, it’s literally never too late to learn a new skill, especially now, when positive distractions are needed more than ever. Didn’t become a child prodigy at age 5? No worries; learning in later stages of life means a deeper understanding of your personal interests, leading to greater motivation for the epic journey you’re about to begin.

Sofia Capllonch is a musician and graduate architecture student at the University of Puerto Rico, Rio Piedras Campus. When she isn't working on design projects, jamming out or reading a good book, there's a huge chance you'll find her obsessing over guitar gear or hanging out with her cats.