BTS performing at the 2021 Grammy Awards
Photo by Cliff Lipson / CBS

Why BTS Deserves the Grammy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

One would think that the world’s most famous K-Pop group would have already won a Grammy Award, but sadly, this isn’t the case. BTS has been nominated twice in a row with their English hits “Dynamite” and “Butter” in the Best Pop Duo/Group Performance category, but have yet to take a Grammy home. So, what is happening?

During the Grammy Awards of 2021, Bangtan Sonyeondan (“BTS” for short) was nominated for the award with their best-selling song “Dynamite”. Everyone expected them to win it because this hit song played in every corner of the Earth! Being a catchy song that lit up the world during the worst moment of the COVID-19 pandemic, everyone expected it to be rewarded for literally uniting the world. ARMY (their fandom name) and the public in general were disappointed when this didn’t happen. The tune debuted #1 on the Hot 100 chart by Billboard. Not only that, but it also stood its place in the chart for 32 consecutive weeks! “Dynamite” also broke many world records such as (the) “Most Viewed Music Video in 24 Hours”, entering the Guinness World Records list. The group, being the humble guys they are, were still happy and grateful  they got nominated for the first time ever, expressing many thanks to both the Recording Academy and their fans. Many thought that maybe the Academy didn’t reward them because they were first-timers, and that maybe this meant they would achieve victory at the next year’s Grammy’s awards. Nonetheless, BTS still made history as the first K-Pop act to receive a Grammy nomination.

The 64 Grammy Awards arrived and BTS was nominated again in the same category, but this time with their hit record “Butter”. After an outstanding performance àla James Bond and receiving a standing ovation from the public at the ceremony, everyone expected the group to finally receive their well-deserved Grammy. Social media went wild right after the announcement of the winners because, again, BTS did not win their most yearned-for award. “Butter” was undoubtedly their best hit of 2021, so everyone was confused as to why this kept happening . This tune broke their own record with “Dynamite” on YouTube as the most watched video on the platform and held a spot in the Hot 100 Billboard Chart for several weeks.

Setting these achievements aside, BTS has been successful in many aspects. The group has broken language barriers with the power of music. They have demonstrated that we don’t need to speak a language to appreciate the music of its country. BTS has collaborated with many artists such as Halsey, Coldplay, Steve Aoki, Zara Larsson, Charlie XCX, and Becky G; all of these collaborations being examples of instances where they didn’t have to change their language for their record  to be successful. The boys had expressed how they want to unite the world with their music, and they’ve been doing it all this time. They also encourage people to support translators, as many work very hard to translate their lyrics and videos so that everyone can understand the message they’re trying to carry. BTS has already passed from being K-Pop superstars to global artists.

BTS has also been carrying projects around the world. They attended the United Nations  General Assembly for 3 years. During 2018, group leader Namjoon gave a powerful message about “speaking yourself” and raising your voice. Along with UNICEF, they launched a campaign called ‘Love Myself’ where they encouraged the youth to raise their self-esteem, and stop violence and bullying. During the 2020 Assembly, at the peak of COVID-19, they carried the message of finding the strength to surpass this hardship. In 2021 they returned  to the  UN  by leading presentations about the challenges that the pandemic brought, including poverty, the struggles of youth, and climate change. They also remarked on the importance of vaccination. Even though they don’t speak our same language, they do their best to help the world.

Even though they don’t speak English, their songs carry important messages that have helped many around the world. The taboo of mental health doesn’t exist for them, as most of their songs encourage people to love themselves, to raise their voice, and remind them that they aren’t alone. They also have songs that address the topic of depression and anxiety, changing the mindset that these are issues that shouldn’t be talked about.

Another reason why BTS deserves a Grammy is because most of their songs are self-produced and self-composed. BTS likes to connect with their fans and when writing their songs, they always consider what everyone needs to hear or what they like. The group includes a variety of styles and genres in their music for everyone’s tasteーyet another reason  why they’re loved by so many. After a new release, they show the process with videos, pictures, and interviews. They love to talk about their new projects.

Everyone knows the Academy doesn’t base their votes on sales or popularity; in fact, nobody knows what specific guidelines they use to grant an award to an artist. This has brought many to question them and refuse to support them, as BTS is not the only big artist with a great history of achievements who hasn’t received a Grammy. Xenophobia and racism have even been mentioned in comments of music experts because they couldn’t find any other explanation that could justify their loss. Knowing the size of the BTS ARMY, the Academy might be using that in their favor, since it has been proven that their views ranking has been going downhill these past years. During the ceremonies where the group has been present, the views skyrocketed to only go down once they disappear from the screen. In each major music awards celebration, BTS is a hot topic among audience members, fashion critics and hosts alike. Ever since they step foot on the red carpet, viewers are eager to see their outfits and hear what they have to say. During the screening in general, everyone is attentive because they know their performance is going to be top-notch. At this point, though, it seems like the whole world’s questioning who needs who. Does BTS need a Grammy, or do the Grammys need BTS?

Astrid Carolina is a grad school student at the University of Puerto Rico, Rio Piedras Campus. She has a Bachelors Degree in Modern Languages and is currently doing her Masters in Translation. When she's not stressing out over doing her thesis, you can probably find her playing videogames or being crafty. Astrid is out there encouraging people to be themselves without fear!