What To Expect When You’re Changing Majors: As Told By HCUPR Contributors

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

We’re days away from the deadline to apply to change faculties and/or majors. If you’re considering filling out the application, you’ve probably been having second thoughts about the major you chose when you filled out the application your senior year. Your plan A might not seem as possible as it once did, and your plans B and C are looking better and better. Slowly but surely, it’s becoming harder and harder to imagine yourself, where you currently are, getting through the next four to six years. And you’re not alone feeling like this. According to a recent report from the University of La Verne, in the United States, as many as 70% of college students will change their major at least once during the course of their four-year degree program, and the majority change it at least three times. And it makes perfect sense. Many of us enter college assuming the career we want. And assumptions can be wrong. 

The decision and process of changing majors is a very individual one. It could be the best decision you’ve made, or not. It might be easy, or it might be hard. If you’re currently considering going through this process and are worried about what to expect, here are important things to keep in mind based on the experiences of seven students that were once in the same position as you.

There are many reasons why one might consider changing majors. Maybe you just realized you’re not at the right place, like Alexandra did when she changed from Marketing to Public Relations and Art History, with a minor in Italian.

“[…] I wanted to obtain a master’s degree in Fashion Marketing […] I came to the realization that the marketing major alone was not for me, because the curriculum did not enable enough creative space […] and did not provide that much perspective when trying to combine it with other disciplines. It became bland for me, to some extent.”

Maybe you’ve decided to put yourself first, like Víctor did when he changed from Social Work to Audiovisual Communication.

“[…] I’m the kind of person who puts others before me, even if I get stuck in a hole for doing so. It makes me happy […] to know someone is grateful for my help, advice or guidance. I really enjoy making people smile, it makes me acknowledge that one person can make a movement. […] [But] for the longest time I felt I wasn’t doing the right choice. I love to help people, especially kids and people my age… but my passion for photography and the movie world was bigger […] it was time to think about myself and my happiness.”

Maybe you’ve discovered new things and layers about yourself that don’t necessarily fit with your original major, and/or find inspiration and courage in others, like Ian did when he traded Accounting for Sociology.

“I guess I imagined myself as a successful broker, manager, CEO, something with a very large salary that would enable me to have a certain lifestyle. […] I also worked in accounting and I enjoyed it. It came easy and made a lot of money. Ironically, as I was learning about accounting and spending time with people in the field I realized how anti-consumerism I am. […] I shifted my paradigm from wanting personal gain to wishing to work for the people and give back. Everything about money and finance and management was counterpoised to what I began being interested in once I was in college. […] I had always loved history and the arts, but I never saw it as something viable until I met other people who actually had the guts to go through with it. […] That really inspired me to be honest about what I wanted for my life.”

Sometimes, a class makes or breaks your major for you, like it did for Nahir, who changed her Chemistry major for an Interdisciplinary Studies in Sciences one:

“[I liked about my original major] the fact that it involved math. When I took Organic [Chemistry], I realized I hated it.”

Sometimes you have the skills, but lack the passion, like Luna and Kevin did when they opted out of their Biology majors in favor of Chemistry and Interdisciplinary Studies in Humanities, respectively.

“I wanted to get into medical school, so biology seemed like the obvious choice. I was good at it, but I lacked the passion to pursue that bachelor’s [degree].”

“[…] in the field of biology I had the ability to use the knowledge I was acquiring to help others. Being a doctor was the obvious choice for me because I thought that was the most direct way to help others, and I was beginning to think that it was the only way in which I could contribute to society. I knew it wasn’t the right major for me because I started losing interest in the courses, therefore, paying attention was very difficult […] Attending class became a heavy burden […] No matter how good the teacher was, there seemed to be nothing on earth that would help me get back on track.”

Or maybe, you never intended to be where you are, like Jean Alberto when he changed to Literature:

“I was never really interested in my original major. I didn’t even really choose it. It was the only one the university had left that was still open. I applied through late registry and by that time, most departments had closed their entry processes. After taking a Labor Relations class, I knew for sure that I was going to change majors.”

Once you’ve made the decision, there isn’t just one possible outcome. It might be the best you could’ve made…

Alexandra: “Becoming a Public Relations and Advertising major constantly elucidates some of the expectations I had with my previous major, and amplifies the reality of what I think is my true calling.”

Jean Alberto: “I feel at home in my new major. Literature, as a whole, has always been very present in my life and it made sense for me to pursue a degree in something that I love exploring/doing.”

Víctor: “I enjoy so much the energy inside the classroom. […] Being surrounded by people who want the same things as I do […] motivates me and excites me so much. There’s this freedom that gets my heart going and I love it so much. I haven’t been this happy in a while!”

Ian: “I like history and literature and analyzing society and trends and people. I have a lot of ideas for things I will write and the work I want to do. I’m also really interested in politics. […] I want to shed my views on society and history. […] I want the knowledge and exposure a degree in Sociology will give you.”

Kevin: “I really like the fact that I can create my curriculum and combine different aspects of knowledge. By doing this, I feel that I am not only customizing my future studies but also contributing to the university by proposing new possible majors and areas of study.”

Nahir: “I can study the things that I like about my faculty, it doesn’t matter what major is.”

… or maybe not. It can happen.

Luna: “I don’t like my new major at all.”

There will always be possible aftermaths such a change might have on your life. They might be unfavorable.

Luna: “The decision to change bachelor’s [degree] was very impulsive. So it caused me a lot of stress in both my personal and academic life.”

You might even have to move to accommodate your newfound interests, like Alexandra did:

“[…] I had to move two hours away from my home, my family and my friends. I was also moving away from the person I worked too hard to evolve from. I was conflicted, but the outcome was truly liberating. “

But it might be filled with mostly positive changes.

Víctor: “[…] my friends have been very supportive and encouraging of my decision, saying it suits me so much and that they can’t wait to see me on the big screen and have my photos all over the place. My family has also been supportive – slowly – but they have gotten there. Professionally, I’ve been more practical and more focused. I’ve begun photo shoots, recording small stuff, and collaborating in projects involving film. I’m also working on two portfolios. […] The change has been big and positive.”

Ian: “Well, my family wanted something different for me […] I get a lot of questions about how I can be so unwavering or unconcerned about my future. Most [of my friends] didn’t think I’d be good at accounting and that sociology just seems like a better fit. My girlfriend studies sociology too […] which is great. Overall, I’ve been happier, I’m interested in my classes now, and I feel inspired. I’m not sure what is going to happen, but I’m excited and unafraid. The world is different and I believe that, even with my weird major and weird interests, I’ll be able to find a job or publish my writings and be successful and happy without sacrificing my enjoyment.”

Jean Alberto: “[…] I’ve been meeting new people that are equally as passionate as I am about what we’re studying. I take all of this with a more serious attitude than before. My reading and writings have become more than just a hobby, and I’m, overall, keener to connecting with all of it.”

Kevin: “The biggest change it has brought to my life is the feeling of accomplishment and that I have finally found the right path. I could finally visualize the future and pinpoint what I wanted to do in life […] I have seen the light.”

What would our interviewees recommend? Many different things, because results of changing a major may vary. But all of them said essential things to keep in mind, some or many you might benefit from.

Luna: “[…] think it through. Sit down and make a list of pros and cons, make sure it’s not an impulsive decision, [or] something you did on a whim. You need to view all the ways changing a major will impact you.” – Luna

Alexandra: “[…] Just do it. […] It is a journey and it’ll take time, but once you make that decision, you will find inner peace and you will gain a lot of things that no one will ever take from you! It is a small step towards the rest of your life, and to be able to control a professional move as such, is realizing we will always have a choice to change things.”

Jean Alberto: “[…] don’t stress yourself about the change, just be sure that what you’re changing to is something that you’re actually passionate about. Once you do, you’ll start noticing how everything starts falling into place. So don’t think twice, it’ll be alright.”

Víctor: “Do what makes you happy. And yes, that is a cliché, but somehow clichés always make us happy. Do what you love […] Money isn’t everything at the end of the day, your happiness is. If you’re considering changing major, there’s a flaw with what you’re currently studying. Think about it, deeply, and don’t let anyone’s opinion make you doubt what you truly want.”

Ian: “There’s a lot of pressure to choose a DEGREE or a FIELD and MAKE A PLAN, but when you actually enter college you’ll meet people on the journey and realize none of that is really relevant nowadays. […] You can study anything you want. The only thing that matters is what you do with it and how prepared you are. […]”

Kevin: “[…] If you’re considering changing your major, frustration will most likely be your new friend, and it is completely normal […] analyze things carefully. Can you picture yourself working in a field related to what you’re currently studying? If not, where do you visualize yourself? Do you love what you’re currently doing, or is there something else that steals your interest? Are you happy? Ask someone you really trust, […] but always seek advice keeping in mind that in the end, no matter the kinds of advice people give you, it is only you that can decide what to do with your life.”

Now that you’ve heard what it might be like, are you still uncertain and afraid? That’s okay. Just don’t let fear be the thing that keeps you from the best potential change you could make for yourself right now. The longer you wait, the harder it might be. Keep in mind there’s nothing wrong with being wrong. Our college years are our learning period after all. This is the time to find ourselves and what we want from our lives. Relish in that. Good luck on your new journey!

Huge thanks to the seven students featured here for making this article possible by sharing your experiences!

Gabriela is a feminist screenwriter and art lover with a passion for cultural critcism, media studies, sexual education, speculative fiction, and cute animals. She's in her last year of college, double majoring in Film Studies and English.