What To Do When There’s Too Much To Do?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

There comes a time in college when we find ourselves completely overburdened. Whether it’s studying, working, being active in a club, group projects, social life or making time for our relationships, our agenda seems to be busy, busy, busy. So busy, in fact, sometimes there are simply too many things to do and almost no time to do them. Everything tends to pile up, and we tend to freak out when they do. The question is: what should we do when there’s too much to do?

Unfortunately, there is no guide that tells us exactly how we should organize our lives and what to do first. Every situation is different: some of us have to work more, some of us study more, and let’s face it: some of us just like to party more. Time is of the essence in college, and using it wisely can help you finish your tasks successfully.

Here are some essential tips to help you stay on top of everything that needs to be done:

1. Organize – Organization is the first step to success. It’s easy to lose track of things in college, so organizing yourself is the first thing you should do instead of freak out. One of the best ways to do this is by creating a to-do list. You can do this by buying an agenda or downloading an app on your phone (AwesomeNote or Evernote are great organizational apps – and they’re free!). Even by writing down something on your hand, write down everything you need to do so you won’t forget. This leads to…

2. Prioritize – Important things first. Do you have a really important job interview the same day of a test? Is it your mother’s birthday the same night you were invited to a party? Figure out what needs to be done first, and focus on things that need to be met by a certain deadline. It’s a delicate balancing act, and even though you might make a few mistakes, prioritizing will make for smoother sailing along the way. And last, but most importantly…

3. Breathe – Really, take a deep breath. Inhale and exhale sloooowly. Take a minute for yourself; it’s easy to get lost in the mayhem and want to explode with everything that you have to do. Don’t stress out if things don’t go exactly to plan – not all situations are under our control. In order to keep your sanity it’s crucial to make time for yourself and rest. Don’t set impossible goals. College is a crazy time, but it is manageable. Take a nice bath, make a fun playlist, go for a run or call your best friend. It’s easy to lose ourselves while trying to maintain everything else.

It’s not easy being a collegiette, especially when we are under so much pressure. It’s important to keep an open mind and prepare yourself as much as you can in order to achieve your plans in an efficient way. Organizing, prioritizing and making time for yourself are key when it comes to being successful in achieving all your tasks.

*The pictures were taken from:

www.tumblr.com

www.facebook.com

Ana Maria Baez is a senior at the University of Puerto Rico, Rio Piedras and is Her Campus UPR's Campus Correspondent. Pursuing a major in Political Science, she enjoys reading, writing, Sunday brunch, traveling overseas, springtime and playing with her miniature schnauzer. She has interned on Capitol Hill for Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid in the Hispanic Press Office, and since joining the Her Campus UPR team in May 2013, she has been working hard towards promoting the first-ever chapter established in Puerto Rico. 
Suzzette Martinez Malavet is a senior at the University of Puerto Rico-Rio Piedras studying Information and Journalism. She loves photography, shoes, fashion, social media, traveling and exercising outdoors. She has interned at the Capitol of Puerto Rico, Diálogo Digital, Wapa TV, Telemundo Network, U.S. Census Bureau's Center for New Media and Promotions and the Corporate Communication/Sales & Marketing Department of the U.S. Mint in DC, but her proudest accomplishment was in Spring 2013 when she founded the very first HC Chapter in Puerto Rico, Her Campus UPR. Suzzette is currently the Chapter Advisor of Her Campus American University, Marymount, William & Mary, and GW. She is also a returning intern this semester at the U.S. Census Bureau's Center for New Media and Promotions. This 22-year-old woman is the most career-driven individual you will ever meet. If you want to know a little more about her...if you want to know what makes her tick and what inspires her the most...Unlock the mystery by reading some of her awesome articles!