Style > Beauty

Wait, You Don’t Have a Skin-Care Routine?! 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

It’s not an exaggeration that a good skin-care routine can be life-changing. Skin-care reduces the appearance of visible pores, wrinkles, and under-eye circles. For instance, providing protection from the harmful UV rays from the sun can prevent damage, blemishes, and hyperpigmentation. A routine that works also doesn’t have to take too much time, it’s a simple act of self-care that can help you wake up and tackle the day ahead and/or relax and wind down before bed. While the world of skin-care may look big and scary, I promise that it’s not as complicated as it seems. Here’s your go-to guide on how to build a skincare routine that you will love and be grateful for:

1. Cleanser

While that used Dove soap bar looks good enough to wash your face with it, you should definitely replace it with a facial cleanser. These cleansers are made to treat the skin of your face gently and to remove ingrained dirt from your pores, while not leaving your skin too dry afterwards. You don’t have to splurge on these cleansers either, brands like Cetaphil and Cerave get the job done without breaking the bank. Each bottle can last over a month, since 2 to 3 pumps per use are enough, which at a $12 price point means you really get your bang for your buck. Determine whether your skin is oily, dry, or a combination of both, then, choose a soap for your skin type. If you’re unsure, Cetaphil’s Gentle Cleanser for normal skin is a good place to start.

The key to using cleansers is to wet your face with warm water and massage the product all over your skin. Let it sit on the skin for a minute to really get a full effect, then wash it off with cold water and finally, dry your face with a disposable paper towel to avoid bacteria.

1. Toner

You may be asking yourself, what the hell is toner? What does it do? How do I use it? Do not fear, dear reader, we got you covered. 

A toner is a fast-acting liquid that delivers a quick hit of hydration while removing dead skin cells. It offers a deep cleanse that removes oil and traces of dirt, bacteria, makeup, and pollution. It’s stored in the fridge, and it’s applied to the skin with a clean cotton pad/paper towel, and then you let it dry. 

While it’s safe for everyday use, it really depends on your skin type. I have oily skin, so I use it twice a day after cleansing. However, toner can leave dryness behind, so if your skin is sensitive you should only use it once a day, preferably at night to clean out that accumulative gunk ingrained in your pores during the day.  

1. Serums

Now comes the complicated part, serums. This step truly varies from person to person, so you really need to experiment. The easiest way to find products that’ll work for you is by narrowing down your exact areas of need and using serums that target them. Research which serums you can use together, and truly explore your options. Always apply after toner, but before moisturizer. If you’re going to use more than one, verify in which order you should use the serums (if used in the incorrect order, they might not work).

As for a brand, here I recommend The Ordinary for any serum needs. Their products usually range from $5-$12 dollars and last for a long time. This step isn’t exactly necessary, but if you find the right products, your skin will thank you for it.

1. Moisturizer

This is the key to a good routine. Now, the right moisturizer for you depends on your skin type, as well. For oily skin, I’d recommend lightweight gel-like products that are matte and oil-free to reduce shine and excess oil, like La Roche-Posay’s Double Repair Matte Moisturizer or Cerave’s Ultralight Moisturizing Lotion. For dry skin, a hydrating cream product will do the job like Cerave’s Daily Moistuzing Lotion. For combination skin, a light water-based product can help restore balance to your skin like La Roche-Posay’s Double Repair Face Moisturizer. Use a dime-sized amount and spread evenly across skin. 

1. Sunscreen

Now, to top it all off, the most expensive and important part of every skin routine: sunscreen. Wearing sunscreen is one of the best ways to protect your skin’s appearance and health at any age. When used regularly, sunscreen helps prevent sunburn, skin cancer, and premature aging. If you’re going to splurge on anything, I’d recommend doing so on sunscreen. A lot of the popular cheap brands have harmful chemicals in them that are bad for the ocean and your skin. Try to find a matte, lightweight, 50+ SPF sunscreen that doesn’t leave you with a white cast. Apply after moisturizer by spreading it all over the face and neck, while avoiding the eyes and mouth. All in all, you should probably find something ranging from $11-$30.

In short, these are the 5 main pillars of skincare, and all you really need to start a routine that works for you. Experiment with different brands and products, and mix and match until you have a routine that’ll make your skin thrive. Good luck and stay beautiful!

Hey there! I’m Alexandra, your local mythology nerd. Currently double majoring in English Lit and Accounting in the UPR.