The Ultimate HCUPR Gift Guide for Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

We don’t have to wait ‘till February 14th to show our partner how much we care: but honestly, we like to spoil that special person in a different way.  Every time this week arrives, my mind fills with dreadful thoughts that come each year: what in the world am I going to give my partner for Valentine’s Day?  And let’s be honest, who doesn’t know what to give to their most loved ones?

Even if you don’t know what to give, relax! HCUPR is here to help with our awesome guide to ensure you find the perfect gift and build a special day with your loved one.

1. Plan ahead and set your budget 

Valentine’s Day is no cheap holiday, even though there really is no cheap holiday. An average spending in the renowned day of love is approximately $13.19 billion, $116.21 per person. The revenue for flowers is $403 million; meanwhile jewelry industries reports profits of $2.2 billion. There’s no need to go broke to guarantee a special day. Love is free: but early planning brings you a better perspective in the financial department.

Little details warm up as much as expensive gifts. You shouldn’t overspend in something when you know you’re going to go hungry or struggle for the reminder of the month. Saving a few weeks before always helps but there’s something even more important than saving: budgets.

Remember, budgets are all up to you and how much you’re willing to spend and how much you actually can afford. Start small: plan a simple budget you’re comfortable working with. However, do not use the top of your budget as the final limit as last-minute emergencies can always occur (maybe that precious wine you got to celebrate shatters on the way).

To maximize savings and dreadful headaches, don’t wait until the night before on that last minute trip to Walmart. The early you start planning your gift, the better. Last minute shopping can bring out the worst out of everyone: from “I’m sorry but we don’t have that item in stock anymore” to “Get away, I saw it first!!”. Early planning constitutes a better budget analysis, more time to find gifts and to scatter savings.

2. Think about your partner’s hobbies and favorites

Even if you’ve been in a relationship for years or recently started dating someone, analyzing hobbies and favorites can be quite a challenge. If you want safe bet for your Valentine’s gift, hobbies is the best way. Look up your partner’s hobbies and find a compliment to them: a retro videogame console for a gamer, new reading listings for book lovers, a specialty dinner for foodies. It’s a world full of possibilities when you lead on from just the hobbies and favorites. From one hobby you can get something special to compliment your partner’s interests.

3. Consider online shopping

​There’s nothing more fun than doing research on different online websites for purchasing gifts such as eBay, Amazon, .etc. Some people prefer doing such a special shopping on their own in shopping malls, but there are great benefits that come along with online shopping that you should consider.

Online stocking has an unlimited variety of items you can consider getting for your partner. Chances are that if one major online store doesn’t have what you’re looking for, another website does. Besides, it’s more probably to get a good sale in items online with mostly free shipping and your gift arriving just in time.

4. Homemade is always a sweet way to go

As mentioned before, you do not need an unlimited budget to make the best of this romantic day. Homemade details (like the picture above) can warm any hearts and make the perfect gift. This includes homemade baked goods, and of course; arts and crafts. Around your home you have a boundless supply for creating unique gifts that would last an eternity. 

Valentine’s Day may seem just a cliché, but with infinite ways to make it a special day, it’s impossible not to enjoy this day. Plan out a surprise for your partner, best friend, crush with this gift guide: it’s guaranteed you’ll have an outstanding day no matter what you give as a gift. After all, the meaning of the gift and your partner’s company is what truly matters. Enjoy it, kiddos! 

Hi there! My name is Karen Michelle Montes. I'm a Journalism and Geography major who aspires to become a meteorologist, fully bilingual in English and Spanish. I have a guilty pleasure with coffee, taking pictures of the food I make, Harry Potter and Twitter. Also, I collect shot glasses from every place I travel to. Follow me on Twitter: @kiwifeliz!