Top Five Video Game Remakes and Remasters to Relive Your Childhood

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

From indie cinematic open-world RPGs to action-packed multiplayer shooter games, today’s video game industry has it all. Let’s face it, you know you want to play a new videogame, but you’re just not sure what speaks to you. The answer might be more familiar than you think. Because maybe, deep down, you want to find a video game that brings back the powerful feeling you experienced years ago as a kid, when you’d spend hours on your favorite console, playing minigames with your friends or embarking on an epic Legend of Zelda-style solo adventure. 

Reliving the past through video games is a great way to remember the classics, rediscover our favorites and free our inner kid while we’re at it. Seriously, it’s been a little more than a decade since, and I can’t count how many times I’ve found myself wanting to play those very games I once loved and played obsessively (yes, Smash Bros. Brawl, I’m talking about you). If you can’t find the dusty cartridge of whatever game you’re craving, you’re in luck: 2021 has been packed with releases of remastered video game editions and remakes. Revisiting childhood nostalgia has never been easier. 

Mario Party Superstars

Release date: October 2021

The classic board-game style game also known as Mario Party is back on the market with its latest installment, which is both a collection and a remake. It includes up to 5 maps from the N64 game, as well as 100 minigames from the entire Mario Party series. In-game progress can now be saved, and online play makes it possible to join in on the fun from anywhere.

Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl

Release date: November 2021

Originally released in 2007 for Nintendo DS, this remake recreates the original game’s minigames and story with updated graphics. Fans and newcomers alike will be able to start their Sinnoh-based journey with one of three iconic Pokémon (Piplup, Chimchar and Turtwig), with the added bonus of being able to customize their  trainer’s outfits and Poké Ball throw animations.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD

Release date: July 2021

After 10 years from its release on Wii, Skyward Sword HD adds visual upgrades to a classic installment in the Zelda universe, which revolves around the creation of the Master Sword. Despite its different motion controls, Skyward Sword keeps its role-playing action game feel, much like 2017’s Breath of the Wild

Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5+2.5 ReMIX

Release date: March 2021

1.5+2.5 ReMIX is possibly the most complete collection of Square Enix’s staple franchise. It features 6 of the legendary series’ games, including KH Re:coded, KH Birth by Sleep Final MIX and KH 358/2 Days. You can now revisit most instances of Sora’s journey (and hopefully navigate your way through the serie’s convoluted storylines) in a one stop shop of all things Kingdom Hearts.

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

Release date: December 2018

While Smash Bros. Ultimate was not released this year, it’s done more than enough to deserve an honorable mention. Following its predecessors Super Smash Bros., Super Smash Bros. Melee and Super Smash Bros. Brawl, 2018’s Super Smash Bros. Ultimate is the ultimate crossover of all of the series’ previous iterations. Smash crowns the list because we get nostalgia through all of its playable items, stages, soundtracks and characters (shoutout to Kingdom Hearts’ Sora, who was added to the roster on the game’s latest update). Plus, you can never go wrong with a good fighting game. 

Sofia Capllonch is a musician and graduate architecture student at the University of Puerto Rico, Rio Piedras Campus. When she isn't working on design projects, jamming out or reading a good book, there's a huge chance you'll find her obsessing over guitar gear or hanging out with her cats.