This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

2018 was a great year for movies. Some of the, arguably, best movies premiered: Black Panther, Bohemian Rhapsody, The Hate U Give, Avengers: Infinity War, Aquaman, Crazy Rich Asians, A Simple Favor, Love Simon, and the list goes on. Can 2019 beat the list of good movies in 2018? Here are some movies to look forward to this year.

1. Little

Official Film Synopsis: Jordan is a big shot mogul. She is not easy to deal with but her assistant April seems to handle it “well”. Out of the blue, she wakes up one day being 13 years old when the pressures on her adult life get to real.

Release Date: April 12, 2019

Why You Should Watch It: This film has an amazing, diverse cast (Regina Hall, Marsai Martin, Issa Rae). It shows today’s trend in society of being a workaholic and how necessary a break is. 

2. Dumbo

Official Film Synopsis: Holt was once a circus star but he went off to war and when he returned, it had terribly altered him. Circus owner Max Medici hires him to take care of Dumbo, a newborn elephant whose oversized ears make him the laughing stock of the struggling circus troupe. But when Holt’s children discover that Dumbo can fly, entrepreneur V.A. Vandevere and aerial artist Colette Marchant swoop in to make the little elephant a star.

Release date: March 29, 2019

Why You Should Watch It: First off, this is a live-action remake made by Disney and Tim Burton. You should see it to relive your childhood days of watching Dumbo, with his peculiar ears and that can fly. The cute little elephant will steal your heart once again.

3. Avengers: Endgame

Official Film Synopsis: After the devastating events of Avengers: Infinity War, the universe is in ruins due to the efforts of the Mad Titan, Thanos. With the help of remaining allies, the Avengers must assemble once more in order to undo Thanos’ actions and restore order to the universe once and for all, no matter what consequences may be in store.

Release Date: April 26, 2019

Why You Should Watch It: This movie is the epic finale to the fight between Marvel’s biggest superheroes and their greatest villain, Thanos. We need to find out what happened to all the characters that vanished into dust, and see what will happen to the Avengers, plus a Marvel movie rarely disappoints.

4. Toy Story 4

Official Film Synopsis: Woody has always been confident about his place in the world and that his priority is taking care of his kid, whether that’s Andy or Bonnie. But when Bonnie adds a reluctant new toy called “Forky” to her room, a road trip adventure alongside old and new friends will show Woody how big the world can be for a toy.

Release Date: June 21, 2019

Why You Should Watch It: You must find out in what messes the gang gets into. And prepare for another sad Toy Story ending.

5. The Lion King

Official Film Synopsis: From Disney Live Action, director Jon Favreau’s all-new “The Lion King” journeys to the African savanna where a future king is born. Simba idolizes his father, King Mufasa, and takes to heart his own royal destiny. But not everyone in the kingdom celebrates the new cub’s arrival. Scar, Mufasa’s brother—and former heir to the throne—has plans of his own. The battle for Pride Rock is ravaged with betrayal, tragedy, and drama, ultimately resulting in Simba’s exile. With help from a curious pair of newfound friends, Simba will have to figure out how to grow up and take back what is rightfully his.

Release Date: July 19, 2019

Why You Should Watch It: This is yet another live-action Disney remake that everyone is waiting for since the release of the teaser trailer. A solid plus is the film’s cast: Donald Glover as Simba, Beyoncé as Nala, Seth Rogen as Pumba, and James Earl Jones returning as Mufasa.

6. Men in Black: International

Official Film Synopsis: Agent H and Agent M employ high-tech weaponry to battle mischievous aliens on Earth.

Release Date: June 14, 2019

Why You Should Watch It: Big reason to watch is to see if the new agents live up to Smith and Lee. The film seems to be a good laugh and may I say so myself, yassss! Finally, a woman is wearing the suit! It is important to see representation in big films so that everyone feels included.

There are many more movies on this list, but I can only name a few. What movies are you anticipating the most this year? Let us know on Twitter!

Image Credit: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Maria is from Puerto Rico and is currently in the process of transferring from General Studies to PR and Publicity. Her favorite things are eating with friends and watching movies/tv series.