Top 5 Local Indie Musical Groups You Should Listen To

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

I’m always wanting to discover new music. I want small and simple daily ways that will help me feel good, that will electrify me, that will allow my soul to dance. Well, what if instead of browsing everywhere for new music to listen to (like I do), I decided its better to compile new rhythms and melodies from Puerto Rico, local music! This is my selection of local indie bands that you should totally listen to as soon as possible.

Los Wálters

Los Wálters is part of the best there is of indie music in Puerto Rico. All the songs have eclectic beats and catchy lyrics; it also consists of this rare but magnificent mix of modern and vintage style. Among the most listened to songs are: “Toca Madera”, “Mayagüez”, “Y Yo No Bailo”. “Y Yo No Bailo” is a song that was part of the 2017 El Especial del Banco Popular. Some more amazing songs by them are “Nuestra Isla” and “Nuestro Encanto”. This last one is a cover to the famous song of the 80s musical group, Menudo. Claridad and, my personal favorite, Porsche. Oh and let’s not forget that also, not long ago, they uploaded their new music video for the song “Más de Nadie”, go and watch it!

Balún

Now we come with a mixture of somewhat exotic rhythms. Well, the Balún musical group loves to mix, such as soft guitar rhythms with reggaeton rhythms or typical 90s techno music. The idea of music that this group brings us is a very creative and entertaining one. If you are looking for something new and completely different, this is your answer. Look for them and enter the futuristic world found in each of their songs. You should definitely start by listening to “Pulsos!”.

Nutopia

Their music is perfect for long road trips, whether you go alone or with your group of friends. The lyrics of the songs will not leave your system for a while, and while it lasts, you’ll be singing them in the shower. They also have something in particular because, in their collection of songs, they can vary between Spanish and English. The most famous song is “Simpatía,” which is accompanied by a striking music video. However, they recently released their new album Huye. Maybe you’ll find some of your new favorite songs now!

Fofé y Los Fetiches

Fofé y Los Fetiches is the band that all your senses have waited patiently to experience. The indie/alternative music that they offer us includes a combination of sounds out of this world, without excluding the voice of the main vocalist, Fofé Abreu. His voice is one with a masterful gift, but the true magic of this musical group is made known in all its splendor when presented live. Maybe you already know who Fofé is since he has been part of other groups in previous years, groups like Manjar de los Dioses, and Circo, (Musical groups that you should also explore). Now with the Fetishes, Fofé has already released two albums. Recommended songs: “Mañana Blanca”, “El Flamingo Rosa” and “Aguántame.”

Polem

If you’re looking for soft music, entertaining, and good vibes, this band is definitely for you. The songs last an average of three minutes, and each of them is full of peace and perfect rhythms to relax too because most of them tend to have a slow beat. The group consists of four children: Charlie, Chris, Elías, and Jean. For when you feel stressed and eager to free your head, this is the ideal group for you. So far, they only have two albums on Spotify and a few singles, very good indeed, but that’s not all. They have already warned that they come with many new things, so keep an ear out. Their last release was in October 2019, and it’s called “Ya No Soy.”

I hope you discover your new favorite band from this list!

Paola is a young writer who enjoys sharing advice and helping others. She is currently finishing a BA in Statistics and likes to use her spare time to have fun with friends and family.