burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Style

Top 5 Festive and Seasonal Clothing Staples Suitable for Tropical Climates

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

Living in the tropics can be a blessing and a curse when it comes to fashion. On one hand, we have all the freedom to let loose with flowy fabrics, strappy sandals, floral prints, and bright colors that can be appreciated by simply taking a look at the tropical flora and fauna. Culturally speaking, tropical women’s fashion is known to be rich in diversity and style. As a Puerto Rican woman, I can say that the same applies to all of the festivities and traditions that take place all year round.

This brings me to my second point: while we like to keep up with global fashion trends during the holidays, we have to keep in mind that not every garment or style is appropriate for the season. To make matters worse, most of the big-name US-based retailers on the island offer impractical garments designed exclusively for cold temperatures (aka puffer jackets, gloves, scarves, and a wide array of thick socks and sweaters). Because the struggle is so real for all of us holiday-loving Caribbean chicks out there, I’ve put together a list of fashion staples suitable for the holidays and the tropical climates.

Floral Tube Tops

There’s certainly no going wrong with tube-shaped crop tops, especially when they’re made of lightweight fabrics and stretchy elastics. These simple, comfy features are perfect for tropical weather. To add a boost of chicness, you can always design your own festive co-ord and combine the tube top with a matching skirt or solid one, if a same-printed one is not available. For a little extra, embellish the look with all the festive beads, bracelets and necklaces you like.

Thin Sweaters

Who doesn’t love to wear sweaters, especially during the holidays? Originally created in the 1980s to keep athletes warm, this holiday fan favorite has diversified itself to become what we know today as cardigan sweaters, pullovers, crewnecks, turtlenecks, and yes, you guessed it: the famous ugly sweater!

While the idea of strolling around clothed in a cozy, long-sleeved garment under the stifling heat of the tropics sounds kinda counterproductive, here’s a way to incorporate this festive trend without overdoing it or risking getting all sweaty: go for light, thin fabrics such as cotton, linen, or blends based on these materials. All you gotta do is read the garment’s labels or assess the touch and feel of the fabric. Ask yourself: Is it comfy? Is it practical for hot climates? Another great strategy to rock this trend without unwanted perspiration is to look for v-necks, and shoulder-baring sweaters (preferably loose at that).

Tights

Even though the Puerto Rican heat is still on during this merry time of the year, islanders can’t ignore the subtle breezes that typically accompany it, especially within the more mountainous, rural areas. This is actually the perfect excuse to bring stockings back! Forget about thick, knee or thigh-high cozy socks (although you might wanna pair those up with your holiday jammies!). It’s all about barely-there pantyhose tights. These can be combined by the aforementioned sweaters, skater skirts, cotton shorts, your favorite pair of flats, and even sneakers! The fun part is picking and choosing between the variety of colors and patterns. For a chic twist, you can always go for tiny polka dots or floral tights.

Sequined Cocktail Dresses

In the Caribbean, the holidays are a big deal. I’m talking about serious months-long festivities and parties all around! This means all tropical babes out there no doubt need to be equipped and ready to slay with some trendy and practical looks. For this reason, I present to you the sequined cocktail dress: a nighttime party favorite that is sure to bring out all the Xmas vibes (especially when you choose a green, red, gold, or silver garment). When worn correctly, this mini-dress allows for some dance mobility. Plus, you get to decide if you want a halter top, a deep plunge neckline, spaghetti straps, or an open-backed number. Whatever you pick, this trend is bound to be a winner!

Skater Skirts

There is simply no better holiday season combination than the mixing and matching of tights with skater skirts. Comfy, affordable, and easy to pair up with almost anything, skater skirts are a safe bet for anybody that’s in the mood for some holiday cheer, and still wants to keep a low profile (sans Christmas decoration earrings and ugly sweaters!). Perfect for college, hangouts, dates, or holiday shopping, this type of skirt is a pleaser for all body types and preferences, coming in a wide variety of colors, fabrics, and prints.

The Locals

Escarcha

A post shared by ESCARCHA (@escarchapr) on

Lucky Love

A post shared by L U C K Y L♡ V E BOUTIQU ☪︎♡ (@luckylovebtq) on

Valija

A post shared by Valija (@valija) on

Nativa Boutique

A post shared by Nativa Boutique (@nativaboutique) on

Freedom Boutique

A post shared by ~ f r e e d o m ~ (@freedom_boutiquepr) on

Now that you know about easy, trendy and comfortable fashion staples for your tropical holidays, it’s time to go shopping! If this option is not available, check out your own closet and see what outfits you can put together. If you wanna go sustainable, get thrifty and shop second-hand; or, for the extra fun factor, organize a closet-swap with your friends! Remember, it’s all about finding clothes that make you feel comfortable and confident in what you are wearing, especially if you’re in need of some practical yet chic clothing options. With that in mind, have yourself some very happy holidays!

Andrea Capllonch is a Comparative Literature grad student that loves editing literary and journalistic content, discovering coffee shops and creating playlists for just about anything. She aspires to someday break into the literary world as an editor for a publishing house or an online publication. When she isn't busy editing or working at the local indie bookstore, you'll most likely find her cuddling her two cats, Bobby and Ziggy.
Antoinette Luna is a Performance Studies and Comparative Literature major at the UPR. Her passions include writing, reading, and anything crafty. She loves to sew, write, and make things from scratch. DIY is the name of her game. Around campus, she is known as a bubbly young woman who goes by just Luna. Her future goals include traveling, traveling, and more traveling. Outspoken transfeminist, and wannabe activist, she's out to set fires.