Style

Top 10 Best Dressed Celebrities at the 2020 Emmy Awards

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

In light of the COVID-19 pandemic, we’ve had no choice but to reinvent ourselves in such a way that we can stay safe without completely sacrificing our social lives― mental health, communication, jobs, education and, of course, entertainment. Since quarantine and social distancing measures have become international norms of wellness, it’s no surprise that the entertainment industry has also taken proactive steps to survive amidst such a significant health crisis. 

We’ve seen this phenomenon at the 2020 Video Music Awards and the Venice Film Festival so far, both of which have proven that virtual and social distancing-abiding events are actually feasible. In fact, this year’s Emmy Awards were entirely televised, as per usual! Despite the LA Staples Center not being filled to capacity for obvious reasons, many actors and Hollywood celebs decided that the show must go on― even if this meant dressing up at home and “receiving” an award from the other end of a screen. Some even donned custom-made creations from some of the world’s most prolific fashion houses! Let’s take a look at some of the best dressed celebrities at the Emmys’ (remote) purple carpet!

Zendaya

Besides winning the award for “Best Lead Actress in a Drama Series” due to her lead role in Euphoria, Zendaya looked stunning in her custom Armani Prive ball gown, which consisted of a floor length, polka-dotted circular skirt with a deep V-plunge neckline, and a crystal-embellished bra.

Laverne Cox

Never failing to channel some Barbie realness, this actress/activist donned a bright fuchsia Azzi & Osta gown with larger-than-life ruffles and an asymmetrical silhouette, complete with a leg-revealing slit down the center front of the dress. 

Tracee Ellis Ross

Artist Tracee Ellis Ross went all-in with her festive, over-the-top look; she even put out a red carpet on her patio for a pre-Emmys photoshoot! Ellis’s golden ensemble was created by French couture designer Alexandre Vauthier, and it featured a long flouncy tiered skirt with a deep halter neck and some more frills at the waist. As if this wasn’t elegant enough, the dress also displayed a hi-low silhouette. In other words, it was revealing at the center front, and covered lengthwise at the back.

Cynthia Erivo

By far, Cynthia’s Emmys look was the most eclectic and otherworldly. Inspired by the legendary Tina Turner’s character in the 1985 Mad Max film, Cynthia’s Versace minidress embodied some futuristically flamboyant vibes (not unlike The Hunger Games films’ Capitol-esque aesthetics). Its vibrant combination of neon green and purple, mixed with the heavy beading and round padded shoulders, was enough to make us spectators catch our breath.

Kerry Washington

The Little Fires Everywhere star rocked fellow co-star’s Reese Witherspoon’s house party with her first outfit of the night: a sequined, leopard print Dolce & Gabbana number complete with beaded fringe embellishments. All in all, this look definitely channeled some celebratory, New Year’s Eve-like vibes.

Regina King

As per usual, Regina King outdid herself at the fashion game! Like Kerry, Regina switched looks throughout the whole event. Her first outfit was created by none other than Italian fashion house Schiaparelli. The highlights of this jaw-dropping ensemble include an electric blue hue, a hi-low hemline, large bustles on both the skirt and the shoulder, and golden accents all over this masterpiece of a dress. Once the award-giving ceremony started, however, Regina changed outfits, instead going for a magenta power suit (courtesy of Schiaparelli, big surprise!). Underneath, she wore a black T-shirt displaying a picture of the late Breonna Taylor’s face as both an act of solidarity for the Black Lives Matter movement and as a call for justice to be made over her tragic death. 

Dan Levy

The Schitt’s Creek director, writer, and actor donned a custom-made Thom Browne suit jacket with a matching kilt― joining the long list of male celebrities that have broken Hollywood dress code stereotypes to include less gender-normative and more comfortable clothing choices. Interestingly enough, Levy’s outfit was strategically designed to pay homage to his own Schitt’s Creek character.

Annie Murphy

This Schitt’s Creek actress achieved the perfect combination of classic, chic, and sexy. All she had to do was wear an all black Valentino ensemble consisting of a loose-fitting suit with trousers, a sheer slip blouse with a scooped neckline, and a dainty lace bralette underneath. 

Jeremy Pope

This Broadway-performer-turned-Hollywood-actor went minimalist in a rich chocolate brown checkered Louis Vuitton suit. Although simple, this look exuded a luxurious tone, and even more so when combined with Pope’s minimal jewelry and black Loubutin boots. 

Yvonee Orji

Not unlike fellow nominee Laverne Cox, HBO’s Insecure star Yvonne Orji wore an Azzi & Osta number straight outta their Autumn Winter 2020-2021 Ready-to-Wear collection. This ravishingly gorgeous, burgundy-colored, sequined gown featured a large, one-shouldered ruffle, a floor-length hem, and a snug-fitting paillette silhouette. In addition, this Hollywood starlet openly supported the Black Lives Matter movement by shaving the side of her head in the shape of the Black Power fist logo. Way to go for making a stylish political statement!

This year’s Emmy Awards’ outfits were certainly groundbreaking. While some celebrities went for casual quarantine-appropriate looks, or even glamorous formalwear, others opted to include BLM references as an act of solidarity for the recent incidents of hate-fueled police brutality that have taken place over the last months. In the end, all of the nominees’ clothing ensembles inspired style and effort for an event that, despite being virtual, was successful. Be it casual or fancy, all of the stars transmitted a clear message: the show must go on!

Andrea Capllonch is a Comparative Literature grad student that loves editing literary and journalistic content, discovering coffee shops and creating playlists for just about anything. She aspires to someday break into the literary world as an editor for a publishing house or an online publication. When she isn't busy editing or working at the local indie bookstore, you'll most likely find her cuddling her two cats, Bobby and Ziggy.