Top 10 Apps Every Collegiette Should Have on Their Phone

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

It’s no secret that collegiettes have hectic lives – even if we don’t think we do. Nowadays, most of us own a smartphone, tablet, or some kind of gadget that we use to navigate our daily lives. (Guilty!)  So, I’ve compiled a list of the top ten apps that every collegiette at our campus should consider having on their smartphone. 

1. Any.do – Productivity

Available for: iPhone, Android

Cost: Free

Any.do is an award-winning productivity app designed to help you organize your day and make sure you get things done. It has voice-recognition software, which means instead of typing out everything, you can simply say a command and the app will write it out for you. It is simple in design, forward thinking and the ultimate tool for a collegiette on the go.

2. Whitagram – Creativity

Available for: iPhone

Cost: Free

Let’s face it – we’re all guilty of taking photos on our smartphones. Whether they are selfies, pictures of yummy dishes or snapshots of a girl’s night out, most of us collegiettes enjoy taking pictures of our lives.  Whitagram is a photo editor that apart from having the basic edits like brightness, saturation and contrast lets you use the original-sized photos with a white background, which is very useful if you want to upload, for example, a panorama on Instagram. Whitagram also allows you create memes! How fun is that?

3. El Nuevo Día – News

Available for: iPhone, Android

Cost: Free

As college students who are very strapped for time, this newspaper app comes in handy for staying in the know of any news that affects our island. Many students aren’t able to access a printed newspaper daily, or simply don’t have enough time to find one, so the app is an excellent choice. 

4. Period Tracker Lite – Personal

Available for: iPhone, Android

Cost: Free

Ah, if only we always knew when our dear friend Flo was going to strike. Luckily, with this app, we can come pretty close! When used correctly, period tracker closely keeps tabs on and predicts those days of the month because face it, ignorance is not always bliss. With a discreet flower icon, period tracker is the perfect app to quietly remind you when not to wear white pants.  

5. Mint – Finance

Available for: iPhone, Android

Cost: Free

From easy access to your bank account to budget graphs, Mint is a super-safe, innovative app that let’s you have control of how you spend and what you spend it on. It lets to track, budge and manage your money all in one place! Personally ever since I started using Mint I have found myself evaluating my purchases before I buy them, and it has actually helped me organize my expenses better.

CNN named Mint one of the Best Apps to Manage Your Money in 2013.

[ pagebreak ]

6. Lose It!– Health

Available for: iPhone, Android

Cost: Free

Even with our hectic lives, keeping fit and staying healthy should never be a last priority for us collegiettes. For an easy way to keep track of what we eat and how healthy we’re being, Lose It is a great app to work with. After filling out your personal information (weight, height, stress test, excersize habits), the app helps you predict how many calories you should eat in a day and how many calories you burn while exercising. Even if you can’t hit the gym, Lose It is an efficient tool for staying healthy.

7.  Viber –Calls,texts

Available for: iPhone, Android

Cost: Free

Have a friend who is studying abroad this semester? A significant other who is out of the country? Viber is the app for you. Viber allows for free calls, text messages and photo/video exchanges, as long as you have a steady internet connection or wi-fi. It’s excellent for keeping in touch with people who are in foreign countries and can’t skype all the time.

8. iStudiez – Planner

Available for: iPhone

Cost: Free (Lite Version); $2.99 (Pro Version)

Our schedules can get pretty hectic in college, but I’ve found that the best way to maintain control is to have an organizer. iStudiez is a great student planner that lets you input classes, professors, classrooms, grades, lectures, exams…you name it. There are two versions: iStudiez Lite, which is free but limited, and iStudiez Pro, which is the complete planner. It’s recommended to download iStudiez Lite and see if you like it before actually buying the pro version.

9. Songza – Music

Available for: iPhone, Android

Cost: Free

Personally, I grew tired of using Pandora, the go-to app for music, after I saw it really wasn’t opening new doors for me in terms of music. Then, I discovered Songza. After registering, Songza offers your different playlist generated by music experts which detail a specific occasion. It narrows down to specifics and offers a great variety of music that I have not been able to find using another music app. It offers great playlists for studying, driving, working out, even cooking! Best of all, there are no advertisements and you can skip or switch playlists as many times as you’d like.

10. Sal!Dining

Available for: iPhone, Android

Cost: Free

Tired of going out to dinner at the same old places? Want to try something new for Sunday brunch? Sal! is a wonderful app that interlaces almost all of Puerto Rico’s dining options all over the island. You can browse by town, type of food, ambience and price ranges. Sal! also lists phone numbers and directions to the restaurants, promotes special offers and can even make reservations for you. A must have app for the food-lover in all of us.

There you have it! These are the top ten apps that I consider every collegiette should have on their smartphone or tablet. Whether they are for amusement or productivity, these apps are sure to make life a little easier.

*The pictures were taken from:

Ana M. Báez iPhone 

Ana Maria Baez is a senior at the University of Puerto Rico, Rio Piedras and is Her Campus UPR's Campus Correspondent. Pursuing a major in Political Science, she enjoys reading, writing, Sunday brunch, traveling overseas, springtime and playing with her miniature schnauzer. She has interned on Capitol Hill for Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid in the Hispanic Press Office, and since joining the Her Campus UPR team in May 2013, she has been working hard towards promoting the first-ever chapter established in Puerto Rico. 
Suzzette Martinez Malavet is a senior at the University of Puerto Rico-Rio Piedras studying Information and Journalism. She loves photography, shoes, fashion, social media, traveling and exercising outdoors. She has interned at the Capitol of Puerto Rico, Diálogo Digital, Wapa TV, Telemundo Network, U.S. Census Bureau's Center for New Media and Promotions and the Corporate Communication/Sales & Marketing Department of the U.S. Mint in DC, but her proudest accomplishment was in Spring 2013 when she founded the very first HC Chapter in Puerto Rico, Her Campus UPR. Suzzette is currently the Chapter Advisor of Her Campus American University, Marymount, William & Mary, and GW. She is also a returning intern this semester at the U.S. Census Bureau's Center for New Media and Promotions. This 22-year-old woman is the most career-driven individual you will ever meet. If you want to know a little more about her...if you want to know what makes her tick and what inspires her the most...Unlock the mystery by reading some of her awesome articles!