The Telenovelas That Raised My Generation

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

Whenever I think of my childhood, I instantly transport myself to the afternoons after school, getting home just in time to watch the five o’clock telenovela. This was mandatory in all Puerto Rican households. It was a constant battle with my mother to be able to see my novela before showering or even before having dinner. Everyone at school was influenced by these popular shows’ plots and their characters. We dressed the same, acted the same, and even copied some of their trademark phrases! Here is a list of the telenovelas that helped raise my generation.

1. Amy, la niña de la mochila azul

Okay, Amy was the first telenovela that stole my attention. She was the one that started it all. In my case, it was where I first met and saw the participation of Danna Paola on television. Today, she is mostly known for her portrayal of Lucrecia, one of the Netflix original series Élite’s main characters. Also within the cast was the famous Tatiana, playing the role of a beautiful mermaid! I mean, what is more magical than this? Of course, I had the series’ soundtrack CD, and I toted my own little blue backpack just like Amy’s, as did everyone else at school. Amy definitely impacted our lives for the better, with her adventures and friends always on the run from the evil Minerva.

2. Dulces y Caramelos

For Dulces y Caramelos, it was practically mandatory to sit and watch it with my mother and my sisters every Saturday morning. This novela was really magical, filled with fantasy and illusion. In addition to bringing a beautiful main story of sweet SofĂ­a, this novel included living mannequins, an incredible candy store and endless adventures with friends. We all wanted to have Sofi’s life. Personally, my favorite character was always BetinaăƒŒI even named one of my dolls after her when I was little!

3. Rebelde

How can I forget the most iconic star of them all! Rebelde was a cultural reset among the students at my school, as was the case for countless other high schools all throughout Latin America. From using flip phones on our boots like MĂ­a Colucci to wearing the star on our foreheads, we all wanted to be rebelde. Absolutely all of the songs in this series are tattooed in my memory and live in it rent-free. This series is an absolute work of art! Besides desperately wanting MĂ­a to end up with Miguel, we were always thirsty to see what other adventures the band of highschoolers was up to. Watching the show on a regular basis thus became the trend, the hat no show that no one could ever stop talking about. It was the golden age of telenovelas.

4. Atrévete a soñar

Once again, Danna Paola returns to make an appearance in our lives, albeit this time, we are no longer children and we are going to school with her and her friends. AtrĂ©vete a soñar is the story of Patito, a highschool freshman who does not know who her father is, and who just arrives at a new school with her mother, and must find a way to fit in, and make new friends. Obviously, the Divinas gave Patito a hard time, but for us, the spectators, this group of girls had a huge impact, specifically Antonella, from using large pens with tons of feathers or imitating her phrases and dances. Generally speaking, these girls’ style, fashion sense and attitudes caused a huge sensation among us grade-schoolers. Additionally, the songs in this telenovela are S-tier and no one can tell me otherwise. AtrĂ©vete a soñar is definitely a classic that will be destined to live in our hearts forever.

5. CĂłmplices al Rescate

“¡CĂłmpliceeeeeees, al rescate tĂș y yo!” 

This novela was another success for my generation. I remember that my grandmother once had a habit of putting the soundtrack CD of this telenovela religiously on her car’s radio every single time she picked me up from school. I came to love it so much that I could not miss it otherwise. Our beloved Belinda made her debut in my life with this funny series about friends and their adventures. Between the plot and the songs, it is obvious that it would be a telenovela hit.

And, here they are, the top 5 telenovelas that made my childhood one full of dreams, songs, mermaids, magic and lots of fun. Telenovelas are a crucial part of Latin American culture, and I think celebrating and talking about them makes the tradition of watching them persist from generation to generation, each with its own trends and pop culture interpretations according to the years. Did I mention your favorite telenovela?

Paola is a young writer who enjoys sharing advice and helping others. She is currently finishing a BA in Statistics and likes to use her spare time to have fun with friends and family.