Life > Academics

The Pros And Cons Of Asynchronous Online Classes 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

Online classes can be a hassle for some and a blessing for others. But, what are asynchronous online classes? Asynchronous online classes, or distance learning, is one of the methods with which you can take a class that takes place fully online, or by computer. Most professors, when using this type of class, provide the students with multiple resources in case they need extra help or assistance when completing the class. Generally, the content is pre-recorded by the professor and then shown or made accessible on the day of the class. Depending on how you handle your responsibilities, this could be amazing or extremely difficult. Let’s dive into these pros and cons so you can determine if it’s for you or not!

Pros of online classes 

• Asynchronous online classes give you the freedom to determine when you will take the class. The first thing you establish is your own preferred time for taking the course and how you’ll work on it throughout the week. You’re basically your own boss, babe. 
  • The course gives you extra help to save on that gas money since you have the comfort of taking the class wherever you want, taking it from home will give your college pocket a breather. 
  • Completing the asynchronous online class ultimately gives you more time to relax. You can avoid picking the outfit for the day and can comfortably take that class in your cute PJs. 
  • Having the comfort of taking the class at your own pace means you have a say on how the class is being handled, you determine what’s the best way for you to learn the material. 
  • You ultimately have your back and know what’s the best way to navigate the class. 

Cons of online classes

• Online classes can be difficult for people who have little-to-no self-discipline. It can ultimately affect your grade if you’re not the type of student who can incentivize yourself into doing the tasks the class requires. 
  • If the class proves to be a difficult subject to navigate, not having aid from the professor in the classroom can be a hassle. 
  • Some professors love to give a lot of work in online classes to compensate for the time they’re not gathering the class, this can be counterproductive because of how much time it can take to complete the work. 
  • For people who need the extra help of having a person explain the material to them, taking an online class can be horrible for your learning process. This method can bring many distractions and can slow the learning process. 
  • Most problems that can stem from online classes involve problems with technology and equipment. If you don’t have good equipment to take the class, it can prove to be very difficult and tiresome to deal with it. 

Now that you have an idea of the good and bad parts of asynchronous online learning and what it might entail, I hope this article will help you navigate your journey through your courses and will come in handy when you’re wondering whether or not asynchronous online classes will be beneficial for your academic journey in college.

Krisia Rodriguez is a writer at Her Campus at UPR chapter. She writes articles about a wide variety of topics including skincare, lifestyle, spirituality, books, and culture. Beyond Her Campus, Krisia works as a bookstore employee at Librería Laberinto, where she attends to customers’ needs, gives out recommendations on various genres and topics of books, manages transactions, prepares packages for the mail, and maintains a good environment for the enjoyment of the customers. She is preparing for an internship at Ediciones Laberinto where she will learn the ropes on the process of editing and dealing properly with written works from authors. She is currently finishing her bachelors degree in Creative Writing at the University of Puerto Rico, Río Piedras where she’ll take off on her book writing journey. In her free time, Krisia enjoys running and practicing kenjutsu, and also likes to do research on the best skincare guidance or fashion trends. She loves writing, listening to movie soundtracks, and reading a good fantasy book. While she’s a real spiritual geek, she’s also a hobby hoarder. Her time is well spent when she does the things she loves, may it be giving good advice to friends, spending time with animals, or making the best 80’s playlists.