This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

Customer service is not always what you see and experience as a customer, let alone, what you see in movies. Customer service is defined as the practice of providing existing and potential customers with support to enhance their satisfaction with the company and its products or services. However, based on personal experience, I would define it differently.

I have been working as a customer service representative at a retail store for over a year now. Helping customers fulfill their needs has been my mission and motivation. Not only is assisting clients one of the main job requirements, but I actually enjoy and find moral satisfaction in helping people in my day-to-day life. Therefore, working in this industry hits close to home. Nonetheless, it’s not easy helping people that don’t need it and/or have ulterior motives. 

It seems as if, culturally, we have been taught that customer service representatives disrupt our regular activities and shopping experience. I have encountered customers who simply do not wish to be bothered while strolling through the store. Some even make sure to let you know, announcing it loudly and even sometimes in a hostile manner. Here’s a typical interaction between these types of customers and myself, a well-intentioned customer service rep starts off:

“Welcome ma’am, are you looking for anything specific I can help you out with today?”

*Blatantly ignores me*

“Well, if you need anything just let us know and we will gladly help you.”

“Can you leave me alone? I’m just looking around. If I need you, I will call you.”

Sometimes, customers choose to ignore you completely which can sometimes be discouraging for the staff. Insults and stereotypical comments can affect our morale even more. What started out as a humble act turns into a targeted (exaggerated) attack from the customer.

Working in the customer service industry is even more complicated when you’re a woman, especially because not all male customers engage with the same level of respect. Between flirty comments, “piropos”, and inappropriate looks, I sometimes feel disparaged, and discriminated against too. Thankfully, none of these encounters have severely affected me nor have led me to seek any sort of intervention. However, that is not the case for everyone. I’m supposed to feel safe in my workspace and, from time to time, I just don’t feel like I am. 

Nevertheless, I don’t want to scare or discourage anyone from pursuing a customer service job. Because, in the same way that I have shared with you the troublesome and sometimes cruel truth of being a customer service rep, I can go on and on about sharing the valuable skills and amazing experiences I have acquired. 

I’ve perfected my communication, translation, organization, responsibility, and versatility skills. I’ve had the pleasure of meeting and helping some amazing people. Most importantly, I’ve learned that sometimes, people don’t just need help finding the right piece of clothing, but they also need someone to talk to. I’ve met wonderful families and children looking for the perfect Christmas present. 

“Yes, we do have the option of layaway where you can leave your gift right here and Santa will just have to pick it up on Christmas Eve so he can deliver it.” 

It warms my heart to be able to help them find their wants and/or needs. What I treasure the most is seeing their faces once again, yet this time they ask specifically for me. 

Pennélope Alers López is the team's secretary and a writer at the Her Campus at UPR chapter. Pennélope's favorite topics to write about range from entertainment to academics. She writes a bit of everything! Beyond Her Campus, Pennélope works as a Barista at Starbucks Escorial. She loves serving warm coffee and putting a smile on everyone’s faces. She is also a junior at the University of Puerto Rico Río Piedras Campus, completing a Bachelor's degree in Special Education. In her free time, Pennélope enjoys doing arts and crafts and spending time with her dog, Lilo. She is also a rom-com aficionado—she has a list of over 100 romance movies and series that she has watched throughout the years.