This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

Indecisiveness has always been prevalent in my life. If I’m being honest, asking me to make any decision is like pulling teeth. If it’s about making a decision for myself and another person, I ask what they prefer (it’s the people pleaser in me, what can I say?). This situation extended itself into my interests/hobbies and, by proxy, my academic career. I mostly focused on volleyball throughout my teen years, never giving much thought to what my future as a university student would hold. Abruptly, the pandemic shut down any dreams of me finishing out high school playing volleyball. Time flew by and I was suddenly a senior who needed to define what their plan was. Naturally, I panicked because I had to make some pretty big choices I wasn’t mentally prepared for. I chose to confide in my parents about my unease and, at that point, my mom suggested I could explore public relations as an option. Her reasoning was that I enjoy writing and I’m good at connecting with others and public speaking.

organization apps?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp

It made sense to me, so I went all in. I even applied to Sagrado, thinking that it would be a great choice, given how well-renowned their Communications program is. At the end of the day, though, I opted to study at the University of Puerto Rico in Rio Piedras. I was a part of the Faculty of Communication and Information (FaCI) with a major in Public Relations and Publicity. While I did do some research before making my final choice, I wasn’t really sure what to expect. Please do not make the same mistake I did, readers; be thorough in your investigations regarding what you’ll study. I didn’t feel engaged by the material and, by my second semester, I was fully questioning whether I really wanted to continue my career in the Communications field. While I was able to meet some great people and maintain friendships with them, the FaCI and I simply weren’t meant to be.

Soon, it was time to make my schedule for my first semester of second year. I figured that I would pick up something extra to try and have a little fun, so I signed up for the first part of Intensive Portuguese. A hobby I picked up early on during the pandemic was taking Portuguese lessons daily using Duolingo. I started because I listened to some songs by Pabllo Vittar, Anitta, Luisa Sonza, and others, and became curious about what it would be like. I even managed to get to a six-month streak taking at least one lesson daily. That came to a halt one day for a reason I can’t remember, and I felt the desire to restart my lessons, but on an academic level this time. I’m so happy I did. At first, it was a bit more difficult than I expected because I was used to the Brazilian Portuguese Duolingo offers, and my main professor was from Portugal. Soon, I got used to it and met classmates that I still take classes with to this day. I even made a friend who I consider to be one of the people closest to me.

The engagement I felt during those classes was far greater than anything I ever experienced with my major’s courses. I knew that this was what I wanted to pursue for now, even if it was a risky move in terms of the future. Trading off a career in the ever-prevalent Communications field in favor of Foreign Languages? I know I will have to work very hard to get to a proficiency level that will get me a good job, but it doesn’t matter. I found a love for the study of languages, and I was ready to make the change. And so, pretty late in the second semester of my second year, I officially made the big decision to switch faculties and majors. It was a bit messy, since I had to pay extra because I missed the deadline to request the transfer properly, and later had to go talk to someone to confirm everything was sorted out and the transfer was processed correctly.

But I digress. I’m officially in my third year now, even if it’s my first semester as a Foreign Languages major, with a focus on Portuguese and German. Because it’s my third Portuguese semester, I only take the classes twice a week and it’s nowhere near as intense as the Monday-Friday classes I had to pull for the first two semesters. However, German has been a different story. As of writing this, I’ve taken three tests already and it’s definitely been an experience. As in, it’s been a fight between the material and I, and I can’t say that I’m winning… That’s just part of the experience of learning new languages: embarrassment from making mistakes is a regular occurrence. What matters is that we learn and grow from those mistakes, becoming more proficient in what we learn, even if it’s at a snail’s pace.

By making the change I did, I realize that I’ve probably set myself back by at least a year, and I’m okay with that. The extra time will have been worth it, because I’ve found something I love and am more than content with. It definitely gets frustrating at times, as do most things. But I will pull through, reader. I’m happy with what I study and can’t wait to see what my future holds. Who knows? Maybe I’ll work as a translator for the government. Or I could end up translating films and series for an international audience. We’ll just have to wait and see…

Carola Ríos Pérez is a writer for the Her Campus at UPR chapter. She focuses on writing reviews and analyses about films, series, and books, as well as sharing some of her life experiences through personal essays. In 2021, she graduated with honors from Colegio Nuestra Señora de Belén. Initially, she began her career as a university undergraduate at the University of Puerto Rico’s Río Piedras campus as a Communications student, with a major in Public Relations and Publicity. Currently, she is a junior in Humanities, majoring in Modern Languages, with a focus on Portuguese and German. Other than academics and Her Campus, Carola enjoys kickboxing and spending some quality time with her three cats, Keanu, Ginger, and Kai. Her passion for languages is reflected in her music tastes, and there’s no song she won’t listen to at least once. Occasionally, inspiration will strike, and Carola will focus on writing her own stories, heavily inspired by the Young Adult novels that shaped her teenage years. Every once in a blue moon, though, she will either go into a minor baking frenzy to procrastinate or pick up her guitar and “jam” her worries away.