Summer Internship Takeaways

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

After spending the entire summer interning for the Department of Treasury-United States Mint Headquarters in Washington, D.C., I realized that this opportunity has provided me invaluable experience that will help me define more my career goals. During my time there, I was placed to work half of the internship at the Public Affairs Office, where I wrote for the agency’s newsletter and internal website. I also generated content for the bureau’s social media and provided feedback for different campaigns. The second half of the internship, I transitioned to the Sales & Marketing Department. There, I was able to give a presentation on how to get Hispanics interested in coins. 

Just for the sake of reference, the United States Mint is the nation’s sole manufacturer of legal tender coinage and is responsible for producing circulating coinage for the nation to conduct its trade and commerce. The United States Mint also produces numismatic products, including proof, uncirculated,and commemorative coins; Congressional Gold Medals; and silver and gold bullion coins.

Because of this experience I was able to learn way more than expected. Here are some tips and tricks for students who want to get an internship experience and want to make the best of it. 

5 Takeways From My Summer Internship in Washington D.C.

1. Ask questions, always: I know it can be a little intimidating to ask a lot of questions. But really, this is something that you have to do. If you don’t ask, you will never know the answer. I experienced this firsthand. My first day at the Mint I asked if there was the possibility of meeting the United States Treasurer Rosie Rios, and also, if there was any chance that I could go to the Mint facility in Philadelphia. Nobody promised me anything, but luckily, because I asked, they made it happen! 

2. The power of writing things down: Maintaining documentation of all your projects is key. Make sure that from day 1 you have a folder in your computer with all the projects and assignments. That way you will always keep track of the things that you need to get done. 

3. Learn to prioritize: Time management will help you get things done on time. Learn how to establish which are the most urgent things, the important things and the less important. This will help you sort out your time during your internship. Also, try to manage your time wisely just so that you can take advantage of all the opportunities during this time. 

4. Be a self-starter: People who have initiative and make things happen are highly valued in any work environment. Learn how to take on responsibility by turning ideas into actions. Even if the work environment is fast-paced and people don’t have time to explain things, do some research and make sure to be on top of your game, always! You will be recognized for your work ethic and skill set. 

5. Have a positive attitude: People don’t like attitudes. If you are not getting the tasks that you would like to get, having a negative attitude won’t get you far. Be in the best disposition of helping out (even if it involves going to get coffee or making photocopies). Trust me, you will get the experience that you need and you will meet some amazing people only if you have a positive attitude!

So go on and get ready to embark on one of the best experiences of your academic life. Doing internships is a great way of breaking into the job market. People get to see you working hands-on. There is no better way to test your skills than doing an internship! You also get to network and receive invaluable mentorship (which is so so important for your career).

If you get an opportunity, don’t be afraid to squeeze and get the most out of it. Go out. Have fun, travel and bond with your roommates (they will become your bestest friends)! 

*The pictures were taken from:

Suzzette M. Martínez Facebook Page

Suzzette Martinez Malavet is a senior at the University of Puerto Rico-Rio Piedras studying Information and Journalism. She loves photography, shoes, fashion, social media, traveling and exercising outdoors. She has interned at the Capitol of Puerto Rico, Diálogo Digital, Wapa TV, Telemundo Network, U.S. Census Bureau's Center for New Media and Promotions and the Corporate Communication/Sales & Marketing Department of the U.S. Mint in DC, but her proudest accomplishment was in Spring 2013 when she founded the very first HC Chapter in Puerto Rico, Her Campus UPR. Suzzette is currently the Chapter Advisor of Her Campus American University, Marymount, William & Mary, and GW. She is also a returning intern this semester at the U.S. Census Bureau's Center for New Media and Promotions. This 22-year-old woman is the most career-driven individual you will ever meet. If you want to know a little more about her...if you want to know what makes her tick and what inspires her the most...Unlock the mystery by reading some of her awesome articles!