Still Not Up-to-date on Taylor Swift and Kanye West’s Drama? Look No Further  

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

Within the annals of pop culture history, few feuds have captivated the world’s attention like the never-ending saga of Taylor Swift and Kanye West. What began as a simple interruption on a star-studded stage at the 2006 VMAs has since evolved into a rollercoaster of emotions, chart-topping hits, and jaw-dropping twists. So, strap in, as I take you on a thrilling journey through the timeline of the Taylor-Kanye drama that has kept us glued to our screens for over a decade.

2006 VMAs: The Birth of a Feud

The year was 2006, and Taylor Swift was a fresh-faced country singer taking her first steps onto the global stage. Kanye West, already a music industry titan, was known for his bold statements and memorable performances. On September 13 of 2006, when Taylor Swift graciously accepted the award for Best Female Video, for the song “You Belong With Me,” West climbed the stairs and infamously grabbed the microphone, declaring, “I’mma let you finish, but Beyoncé had one of the best videos of all time.” This shocking moment set quite the precedent for on-stage celebrity animosity. Shortly after, a stunned Swift told reporters, “I was standing on stage and I was really excited because I’d just won the award and then I was really excited because Kanye was on stage … And then I wasn’t excited anymore after that.”

Taylor Swift interrupted by Kanye West is discussed on The Tonight Show Starring Jay Leno.

On Ellen, West stated, blaming the outburst on a combination of “sincerity and alcohol,” “I immediately knew in the situation that it was wrong and it was a spectacle.” He added, “It’s actually someone’s emotions that I stepped on. It was veryーit was rude, period. I’d like to be able to apologize to her in person.”

2013: The Gloves Come Off

Just when it seemed like the two might be moving on, Kanye reignited the feud with his song “Famous,” from his album The Life of Pablo featuring the lyrics, “I feel like me and Taylor might still have sex / Why? I made that b**** famous.” The song’s release was met with shock and disbelief from fans, and Taylor Swift made her discontent known.

Taylor Swift answers to Kanye West in her Grammy Awards acceptance speech on February 15, 2016:

Taylor Swift made an incredibly inspiring statement while inadvertently addressing West’s “Famous” line as she accepted her Grammy for Album of the Year in February 2016. “As the first woman to win album of the year at the Grammys twice,” Taylor Swift said, “I want to say to all the young women out there, there are going to be people along the way who will try to undercut your success or take credit for your accomplishments or your fame.” She proceeded, “If you just focus on the work, and you don’t let those people sidetrack you, someday when you get where you’re going, you’ll look around and you will know that it was you and the people who love you who put you there, and that will be the greatest feeling in the world. Thank you for this moment.” Through her words, she brought attention to the challenges and double standards that women face, encouraged young women to believe in themselves, and stressed the importance of women supporting other women in their journeys toward success. Her speech resonated with many, making it a pivotal moment in the ongoing conversation about gender equality in the music industry and society as a whole.

June, 2016: Kanye releases the “Famous” music video:

The “Famous” video by Kanye stirred up a significant amount of controversy and upset Swift due to its provocative and disrespectful nature. In the video, Kanye is depicted lying in bed alongside a group of naked, lifelike wax figures of various celebrities, including  Swift. This portrayal was deeply unsettling to Swift and her fans for several reasons. Firstly, the video not only objectified Swift but also reduced her to a mere prop in a controversial artistic statement. Moreover, the lyrics of the song itself had already sparked a feud between the two artists, with Taylor expressing her discomfort over being referred to in derogatory terms. The video essentially amplified these negative sentiments, as it seemed to further validate the degrading lyrics and undermine Taylor’s dignity and reputation. The “Famous” video crossed boundaries of respect and consent, and its release reignited the feud, causing Taylor and her fans to feel outraged by Kanye’s disregard for her feelings and personal autonomy.

July 2016: Kim Kardashian releases a phone call between Swift and Kanye:

The leaked phone call between Taylor Swift and Kanye West regarding the lyrics of the song “Famous” offered a glimpse into the dynamics of their long-standing feud and fueled a renewed wave of controversy. The call, which took place in 2016, was meant to address the lyrics that mentioned Taylor: “I feel like me and Taylor might still have sex / Why? I made that b**** famous.” In the recording, which was later leaked by Kim Kardashian on an episode of KUWTK, Kanye is heard explaining to Taylor that he wants her blessing for the lyrics, claiming that he respects her and wants to avoid any negative fallout. He assures her that the lyrics are intended as a compliment, emphasizing the notion that their publicized feud had actually elevated her fame. Taylor appears appreciative of the call, seemingly giving her approval while also expressing some reservations about the “b****” part of the lyrics.

However, what the leaked call didn’t capture was the full context of the conversation. Taylor later responded to the leak by revealing that the part of the conversation where Kanye referred to her as “that b****” was not included in the snippets Kim Kardashian had shared. Taylor maintained that she had never approved that particular phrasing, and the situation quickly devolved into a classic case of “he said, she said.”

Taylor Swift: Vanished online:

In the wake of the “Famous” controversy and the subsequent media frenzy, Taylor Swift found herself at the center of intense public scrutiny. The use of the snake emoji across her social media platforms, a symbol that had come to be associated with her, was emblematic of the negative perception that had engulfed her image. Feeling vilified and misrepresented, Swift made the decision to retreat from the spotlight and withdraw from social media. This hiatus, which lasted for a year, was not only a means of self-preservation, but also an opportunity for her to regain control over the narrative surrounding her and her reputation. Swift’s disappearance from social media was a strategic move, allowing her to lay low, reflect, and eventually reemerge with a newfound sense of empowerment and artistic direction that culminated in her comeback album Reputation.

Look what you made me do…

Taylor Swift’s comeback to Kanye West was nothing short of a masterclass in artistic response and self-empowerment, and it took the form of her hit single “Look What You Made Me Do,” which was released as the lead single on her sixth studio album, Reputation, in 2017. The song opens with a haunting melody and we see in the music video a zombie Taylor crawling out of a grave that says “here lies Taylor Swift’s reputation.” The video was laden with symbolism and references to Swift’s past experiences and media portrayals. Swift appeared as various versions of herself, past and present, suggesting a metamorphosis and a shedding of her former personas. The video also featured a scene in which Taylor stands atop a mountain of past versions of herself, including those from her previous music videos, effectively acknowledging the public’s perception of her as she climbed her way to the top. One of the most notable elements of the music video was the scene where multiple snakes slither around Taylor’s throne. This visual directly addressed the snake emoji backlash she had received after the leaked phone call, subverting the derogatory term and reappropriating it as a symbol of her resilience.

2019: Kim Kardashian states there’s no more bad blood between Kanye and Swift:

During a segment called “Squash That Beef!” on Watch What Happens Live with Andy Cohen in January 2019, Kardashian set the record straight when questioned about if her dispute with Swift over the exposed phone calls was still active, she responded that she was “over it.”

2020: 4 years later…

Just when it seemed like the drama might finally subside, the feud found new life. In 2020, a previously unseen video clip of the infamous phone call between Taylor and Kanye was leaked, reigniting discussions about whether Taylor had truly given her consent for the controversial lyrics. The rapper can be heard asking Swift to tweet the release of his new single on Twitter.  “So my next single, I wanted you to tweet it … so that’s why I’m calling you. I wanted you to put the song out,” he tells her. Swift asks West hesitantly for the lyrics after he informs her that the song has a “very controversial line” about her. Swift is skeptical and wonders if it’s “going to be mean,” and West admits that even his then-wife Kardashian at first thought it was “too crazy” but later changed her mind. He remarks, “It’s like my wife’s favorite f—ing line.”

March 2020: Kim Kardashian admits the word “b*tch” was used without Swift’s permission:

“To be clear, the only issue I ever had around the situation was that Taylor lied through her publicist who stated that ‘Kanye never called to ask for permission…’ They clearly spoke so I let you all see that. Nobody ever denied the word ‘b*tch’ was used without her permission,” tweeted Kardashian. The use of the word “b*tch” in the song and the subsequent controversy brought attention to gender dynamics within the industry. Swift’s reaction to being referred to in such a derogatory manner highlighted the broader issues of sexism and misogyny that female artists often face. It also underscored the importance of standing up against such language and behavior.

The Saga Continues…

As of the present day, the Taylor-Kanye feud remains an indelible part of pop culture lore. While both artists have evolved and matured over the years, the drama between them continues to capture headlines and inspire countless memes and debates.

In a world where social media and celebrity culture so often collide, the Taylor Swift and Kanye West feud stands as a testament to the power of public perception, the consequences of unchecked words, and the enduring ability of a single moment to shape a narrative for years to come. So, as we sit back and watch this real-life soap opera play out, one thing is for certain: the Taylor-Kanye drama is far from over, and we’ll be here, popcorn in hand, ready for the next shocking twist in the tale.

Adriana Quiles is junior at the University of Puerto Rico Recinto de Río Piedras. She's very passionate about female empowerment and feels that Her Campus is her ideal outlet to talk about topics that matter to her and to all women.