Spring Breakers: Exploring Puerto Rico’s Natural Wonders

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

The long-awaited time out from all of your responsibilities just passed and now we’re back to reality. Yes, my fellow readers, I am talking about Spring Break! Whether you just wanted to chill or party it up for a week, we can all agree that it was needed and enjoyed. This year Spring Break arrived earlier than expected, but that didn’t matter! 

Here in Puerto Rico we had many things to do and amazing beaches to visit that are available all year round. I will recommend some so that you can start planning your next getaway to one of these native wonders. 

Whether you want to surf and party, we have it all at, at most, a two hour drive away. You have seen famous surfers shred our awesome waves, which are found in the west-side. The more well-known surf spots are Jobos Beach and Middles in Isabela, in which the Rip Curl Pro Search and the Corona Extra Surf Contest has been celebrated recently. 

If you don’t surf, no problem! There is plenty of sun for you to soak in while you observe the surfers killing it out in the water. If this still doesn’t float your boat, then there are loads of other beaches to visit. 

There is the crystalline water of Playa Sucia in Cabo Rojo and over on the east coast there is Ocean Park and Piñones. The last three beaches are way more swimmer friendly, but be on the lookout because if the day is nice and windy, you will see many kite surfers taking over Ocean Park’s beach.

Aside from the beach, keep in mind that we have picturesque water holes and forests for you to discover. There is our classic rainforest called El Yunque, which is located in Rio Grande. There are also two rivers that have gotten pretty famous among fellow University students, which are the Tinajas River and Gozalandia. After a nice trek in their forests and exploring all of the fauna, you can cool off by jumping into each of these rivers’ waters and soak under the gentle waterfalls while having a blast with friends. 

Remember to make a few pit stops on your road trip to eat some alcapurrias and bacalaitos, accompanied by an ice-cold piña colada or coconut milk right out of the fruit. Trust me, you won’t regret it!

Spring Break is a great to get to know your country’s natural wonders. It is unacceptable for you to say that you had a boring vacation since there are an infinite amount of possibilities for an adventurous spring breaker right in your backyard! All you have to do is a bit of research and not be afraid to ask for advice.