This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

For us, that get scared easily and are not really into horror/bloody movies here is a list of spoopy movies to be able to sleep at night.

1. Hocus Pocus (1993)

Three sisters named Winifred, Mary and Sarah were executed for being witches but, before dying, they left a spell to resurrect them once someone lights a candle they left inside a cottage. 300 years passed and a family moved to Salem where a young boy lit up the candle and brought them back to life. The witches need to poison children to steal their youth and survive but they only have until sunrise. The movie revolves around saving the children and the witches finding out that Halloween has become a holiday and nobody takes them seriously. It’s a funny movie to watch on a family night.

2. Halloweentown (1998)

Halloweentown was a must watch back in the old Disney Channel days. In this story, the kids don’t know that her mom and grandma are witches but her mom wanted them to have a normal life. The kids followed their grandma, without her noticing, to her home and that’s when they discovered Halloweentown is real and all the fun starts.

3. Beetlejuice (1988)

When the movie has Tim Burton you already know you won’t be ready for all the things that will happen. In this movie, a dead couple stays as ghosts in the house they used to live and want to scare the new couple and daughter, that just moved in, away. After failing to be scary enough, they decide to call Beetlejuice (saying his name three times so he appears) but were not ready for all of the crazy things he’s able to do. I can assure you will not be able to get the banana boat song out of your mind for a while.

4. Edward Scissorhands (1990)

Another Tim Burton movie! Edward was created by an inventor who died before being able to finish him and that’s the reason behind his “scissor hands”. A woman decided to adopt him and the whole town is scared of him until they see that he can trim lawns and do haircuts. Everyone loves him until something happens and they blame him for it. It’s more of a dark movie but you can notice how scared Edward is of all the changes and that he would never do something to hurt anyone.

5. Twitches (2005)

Twitches is full of clichés that we would all love to be a part of. The twin sisters were separated at birth and didn’t know each other until they were 21. That’s when they discover they are witches and must save the world they came from, along with their real mother. Another Disney movie to watch on a family night that is sweet but still has some scary in it. Don’t forget to watch the second movie!

These movies will definitely allow you to sleep at night. They are just the right amount of creepy with lighthearted family fun!

Image credit: 1, 2 ,3 ,4, 5

Laleska is majoring in journalism at the UPR Rio Piedras Campus. Loves travelling, fashion, reading books and sleeping. You can always find her with a smile on her face!