Shhh! Why Silence Is Your Best Weapon

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

Oh drama, drama, drama! What if we tould you there is a wise and mature solution to get out of it? It’s right in front of your nose, and it’s such a simple solution. Don’t fume or yell: use the Silent Treatment. 

No, we don’t mean shunning a person out until they come back begging forgiveness for whatever they did or didn’t do. When a discussion heats up, sometimes the best way to deal with it is to walk away. You should deal with your problems instead of running from them, but in the midst of angry yelling you may say things you regret. Learning to stay calm and walk away during a big fight is one of the most important skills you will ever learn, whether it’s in a relationship, with your family or friends, a colleague or even your boss at work. Staying cool and maintaining perspective will give you the upper hand in any situation. Here are four reasons why:

1. It’s not worth it. Inner peace is your priority right now. College, work and extracurricular activities can be a lot for some of us and we have to keep it together. There is literally no time for drama! Besides, anger causes frown lines.  
  2. Silence is the best revenge. Kill them with kindness. There is nothing that ticks someone off more than to see you smile when you’re in the middle of a fight. The urge to fight or yell back is the first thing that comes to mind when things heat up, but be smart: take a deep breath, say you don’t want to discuss the problem right then and there and that you’d rather wait until things are calmer, then walk away. Bad vibes and agression shouldn’t take up so much of your attention. When he or she is calm, then you can talk.   
  3. If you’re right, you’re right. It‘s difficult to be accused of lying when you know you are telling the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. It may even make you want to get in their face about it — but that’s not smart or classy. Be polite, try not to lose your temper (even if you’re fighting with your boyfriend over some random text), and try to get your point across using rational explanations. Anger makes us irrational, and maybe the other person is too blinded to see you’re right. If you are truly sincere, there is nothing in the world that will take that from you; not even if the other person won’t believe you. 
  4. The truth will come out. Like Shakespeare wrote in The Merchant of Venice, “at the length truth will out,” whether it’s sooner or later. When that time comes, you will be thankful for all the trouble and drama you avoided by keeping your peace.  
Krizia Cantres Cintron is an Advertising and Public Relation student with a minor in Social Science at the University of Puerto Rico, Rio Piedras Campus. She's currently an intern at the UPR newspaper, Dialogo. Krizia is a funny young lady that loves to sing and dance, also crazy for high fashion and everything related to the show bussiness.