Life > Experiences

Santa’s Guide to Gifting for the Holidays

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

You already know what time of the year it is. It’s finally Christmas time! The smell of Fabuloso’s (well known cleaning detergent by all Latinx households) Christmas edition just hits different on our typical Sunday mornings that start with the tremendously loud sound of aguinaldos boricuas blasting in the living room. Priceless. Nonetheless, it’s also the season of giving and spending time with those you love. But it’s frequently common to not know where to start with your Christmas shopping. And that often ends up in spending more money than planned or with a missing gift! So here’s a quick guide on how to become the best gifter around. 

Who’s been naughty? Who’s been nice?

First things first, you need to figure out who you are making/buying gifts for this Christmas. Making a physical list will help you visualize how many people you want or can give to this season, and it will also help you minimize the chances of accidentally leaving somebody out. 

What’s on their list?

Finding out what the person you’re gifting wants can be quite tricky, especially if they haven’t openly hinted about their wish list. If this is the case, it’s time for some brainstorming. Think about this person’s hobbies, their majors, their music taste, their favorite color, basically anything that would give you a grasp of what they like. After that, try to think about gifts related to the previous characteristics you sorted out. Also, don’t limit yourself to buying something from conventional stores. Expand on the possibilities of gifting local goods, or creating something from scratch!

In special cases where you really can’t think of something, or perhaps you’re afraid you might buy something they already have or maybe they’ll dislike, go with a more interactive gift. Like maybe tickets for a drive-in movie (because…you know…the pandemic), a social-distanced picnic in the park, a paid stay at an Airbnb somewhere fun on the Island, or even a special treat at a spa. You can’t go wrong with any of these. 

Budget yourself!

I know we get excited and let ourselves get carried away with all the joy and fun of preparing gifts for those we love, but that doesn’t mean we’re not gonna take into consideration our own finances! Maintaining a budget is for your own good, as there’s nothing wrong in watching out for your money. It’s all about priorities. Set a fair budget in general or for each individual present so that you can get lovely gifts for everyone while not having to worry about accidentally emptying your bank account. This is especially important for us students!

Add the secret ingredient

Consider this the most important step in the gift giving guide, because this is the part when you transform a regular gift into a more personal one. I’m talking about writing a heartwarming Christmas letter, expressing your love and gratitude for each person. Make a DIY wrapping with doodles or perhaps a beautiful painting, add a cute picture of the two of you during a happy day— make it feel like a personalized gift. After all, the one thing that truly matters is the love that blossoms between the two of you. 

On that note, always remember that no gift is more important than having each other, and preparing physical gifts is not really needed, and it’s not really the center of the season. Don’t feel forced to buy gifts. The material world can wait, but do make sure you let your loved ones know how much they truly matter to you. This Christmas, gift from the heart, and that’s how you can become the best gift giver around. Merry Christmas, everybody!

Paola is a young writer who enjoys sharing advice and helping others. She is currently finishing a BA in Statistics and likes to use her spare time to have fun with friends and family.