#RoadToOscars: Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

The favorite of the season, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri received 7 Oscar nominations, and it is expected to win them all.

This film has a very simple premise, but it is something that is greatly relevant in today’s society, and it is the main reason as to why it has caused so much sensation during award season.

The plot follows Ebbing, Missouri resident Mildred Hayes who puts three billboards outside of the town that read: “RAPED WHILE DYING,” “AND STILL NO ARRESTS?” and “HOW COME, CHIEF WILLOUGHBY?” The billboards are referring to the murder of her teenage daughter, Angela, that occurred seven months earlier. She blames the police department, accusing them of focusing on beating up African Americans and busting them for marijuana instead of focusing on actual crime. Eventually, the billboards become the hot topic of the town, infuriating the police department and causing a strain in all of Mildred’s relationships.

The film makes it clear that every single character is morally compromised. The cops are selfish, only caring about their image and not focusing on what is happening in the town of Ebbing. Then, comes the character of Mildred. The debate of the film is if Mildred did the right thing by putting up the billboards and going against the police. We are left to decide if her actions were fueled by her desire for justice or pure revenge. They are all unreliable which is what makes the film even more interesting.

A post shared by Three Billboards (@threebillboardsmovie) on

Out of all the aforementioned films, this is the one that deserves most of the hype around it. All of the nominations are very well-deserved. The nominations are Best Picture, Best Actress, two for Best Supporting Actor, Best Original Screenplay, Best Original Score and Best Film Editing.

Is it Best Picture worthy? Absolutely. It is my favorite to win, and if it doesn’t win it will be a huge surprise. It has everything an Oscar-winning film needs: social commentary, original story, and it’s from the drama genre. It could also win Best Original Screenplay, and it wouldn’t be a surprise and there wouldn’t be any complaints.

It deserves to win at least four out of seven Oscars since the Score and Editing were not something extraordinary like the rest of the nominated films. However, since it is the favorite it might surprise everyone and wind up winning all the Oscars. The only one it wouldn’t win is Best Supporting Actor for Woody Harrelson since his co-star Sam Rockwell already has it under his belt and there can only be one winner. The Best Actress Oscar will be awarded to Frances McDormand, for her role as Mildred.

The film is very complex and heavy; it makes you think and makes you feel all different types of emotions. It is definitely not for the faint of heart and for those who can’t handle strong and difficult topics. It is very well done and worth checking out if you can.

Gabriela is currently an English Major at the University of Puerto Rico. When she isn't reading fantasy books, she can be found writing them. She is a Vegetarian Hufflepuff that loves zombie fiction, an irony in itself. An aspiring filmmaker, she one day dreams of winning an Oscar for her films.