This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

A Star Is Born has been nominated for Best Picture at the Oscars. This film was one of the most buzz-worthy movies of 2018. A Star is Born was directed by Bradley Cooper. He starred alongside Lady Gaga, and he also directed the film, this was his directorial debut. The film is also the fourth remake of this story

The film is the fourth remake of this story, the first one having premiered in 1937. It tells the story of Jackson Maine, a musician struggling with addiction who discovers a talented young woman named Ally and helps her rise to fame. While Ally’s fame escalates faster than anyone could’ve expected, their relationship becomes strained. Ally wants to help Jackson, but his inner demons don’t allow him to fully heal.

It is one of the most beautiful and heartbreaking films I have seen, and it was spectacular from beginning to end. While it was my favorite movie of 2018, I don’t think that it will win big on Oscar night. I think it will only take home the award for Best Original Song “Shallow.” It had beautiful cinematography and editing, it was definitely one of the most beautiful films of the year, but I highly doubt it will win the Cinematography since it is up against Roma and that one is the favorite in that category. The directing was also spectacular, but Bradley Cooper was not nominated and even if he had been nominated, Alfonso Cuaron is definitely winning that Oscar.

No matter what happens, at least we are getting a live performance of “Shallow” at the Oscars; we deserve this, this is all we want. Bradley Cooper showed us that he can direct a film and write a good script. Lady Gaga, hopefully a soon to be Academy Award winner for her work with the song “Shallow,” proved that she has great acting chops, that she can lead a movie and that there can be 100 people in a room and 99 of them but all it takes  is one and it just changes your whole life.

A Star is Born received a total of 8 Academy Award Nominations:

• Best Picture for Bill Gerber, Bradley Cooper, and Lynette Howell Taylor, Producers
  • Best Actress in a Leading Role for Lady Gaga
  • Best Actor in a Leading Role for Bradley Cooper
  • Best Actor in a Supporting Actor for Sam Elliott
  • Best Cinematography for Matthew Libatique
  • Best Music (Original Song) for Music and Lyric by Lady Gaga, Mark Ronson, Anthony Rossomando and Andrew Wyatt
  • Best Writing (Adapted Screenplay) for Screenplay by Eric Roth and Bradley Cooper & Will Fetters
  • Best Sound Mixing for Tom Ozanich, Dean Zupancic, Jason Ruder, and Steve Morrow

Image Credits: 1, 2, 3

Gabriela is currently an English Major at the University of Puerto Rico. When she isn't reading fantasy books, she can be found writing them. She is a Vegetarian Hufflepuff that loves zombie fiction, an irony in itself. An aspiring filmmaker, she one day dreams of winning an Oscar for her films.