timon studler BIk2ANMmNz4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
timon studler BIk2ANMmNz4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

A Quick Survival Guide to the 2018 SanSe

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

It’s time for the much-anticipated celebrations of Las Fiestas de la Calle San Sebastián. We finalize the Christmas season with five days full of music, art, drinks, food and, of course, cabezudos. This year the dedication of las Fiestas will go to Lin-Manuel Miranda and the residents of Old San Juan. The sanjuaneros showed much solidarity after the passage of Hurricane Maria.

Whether you go to las SanSe every year or have never been to them, there are always some things to keep in mind before diving into the crowded streets of Old San Juan. Here are four things to know before the celebrations:

1. Transportation

A very important aspect of las SanSe is getting there. If you’re taking a car you should check which parking lots will be open and if you’re taking public transportation check where and when it’s available. You can find all that information and more in these links: here and here. Either way, have tons of patience and expect a LOT of traffic.

2. Clothes

As we all know, it’s always hot in Puerto Rico, but it will feel worse when you’re walking under the sun as part of a huge crowd. My advice is to keep it simple and wear light clothing with comfortable sneakers. It’s a long walk through San Juan so go as comfortable as possible. You won’t get as tired so quickly.  

3.       Water

The heat brings me to another topic. Other than the fact it’ll be hot, you may or may not be drinking. So if you don’t want to end up collapsing from dehydration, please remember to bring a bottle of water with you. That way you’ll be able to party as long as you want. You can find water for sale in most of the bars, but who wants to make one of those incredibly long lines for something you can bring?

4. Belongings

Be sure to take a small purse with only the basic necessities. Those can be different for everyone but don’t forget to bring identification and only take the necessary amount of money in cash. You never know what could happen so don’t carry anything too valuable.

Hopefully, this information will help you feel more prepared for the festivities. Las Fiestas de la Calle San Sebastián are a beautiful tradition with a lot of history that you can’t experience anywhere else. So have fun with your friends and enjoy this Puerto Rican tradition that attracts visitors from all over the Island, as well as people from all around the world.

Thumbnail: Municipio Autónomo de San Juan