The Perfect Puerto Rico Road Trip Route For This Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

As finals loom near I always try to remember that it’s just one more sign that summer is near. The days are getting longer, the sun is getting warmer, and the beach urgently calls my name. It reminds me of that scene in High School Musical 2 where everyone is chanting “summer, summer, summer” as the clock signals the last day of school. Only my mental chant is more like “beach, beach, beach”. 

In honor of summer looming ever closer, I will be compiling a road-trip route for all of you who, like me, are looking for budget-friendly options to hang out with your friends and family. You can choose to spend a little time in each of these locations or you can make each place a one-day event! The choice is yours. 

So here we have it folks! Our road trip route for summer 2023.

1. Vega Baja -this is my hometown, so it’s only fitting that I start off the trip here. Vega Baja is known for its amazing beach and natural springs. 
  • Very close to  the beach, there is a natural spring, one of the biggest in PR: “Manantial Tortuguero Springs”. However, even though it’s a beautiful spot, you should know that it does get pretty crowded on weekends and the water is very cold. So if you’re interested in going, try to arrive early or go on a weekday. 
  1. Manatí – Manatí is mostly known for its amazing beaches, although there are a few hidden gems that not everyone knows about. 
  • “Los Tubos” beach is a personal favorite of mine. I spend at least a few hours every month there. There’s just something very raw about it. It feels almost untouched by people, even though it’s right next to a main road. This beach is mostly a surfing spot, as it’s open sea and the waves tend to be big. However, on good days when the waters are calmer, people can go in, although I wouldn’t recommend you to do this if you don’t know how to swim or if you’re by yourself. Crystal clear waters and cream sand. Palm trees and local plants provide the perfect shade for you to lay down a blanket, take out your watercolors and snacks and spend an afternoon watching the sunset.
  • Manantial de Guayaney is one of those “Instagram” spots. To get there you have to walk a fair amount through small trails. So if you like an adventure, this should definitely make it to your list. The water is crystal clear and the place is secluded by nature. It truly feels like you’re connecting with nature. 
  1. Hatillo – By this point in your road trip, you’re sure to be hungry. So do yourself a favor and make a pit stop in Camuy for the best alcapurrias you will ever try. “Las Alcapurrias de la 15” is a local favorite spot. They’re very well-known among locals because of their consistency, they’re always just that good! Some people even ask to buy them frozen and take them to their house to fry or send them through FedEx to family in the US. I kid you not, this happens all the time. I recommend you call and order them in advance so you avoid long lines. Once you have your food in hand, hop in the car and make the short ride over to “El Gran Parque del Norte”. Park your car and head over to the beach, take a seat, and enjoy your lunch. Once you’re done you can rent a bicycle and ride around the park or grab a volleyball and play for a while around the nets. 
  1. Isabela – Now we’re truly on our way to the west. Isabela has a ton of beach spots you can stop by. 
  • “Los Jobos” beach is a great place to rent surfboards. For $20 you can rent one for a whole day. There are also many restaurants nearby, for those of you who want to treat yourselves to a full meal. 
  • Scooter rentals – another thing to look forward to. If you enjoy riding scooters, Isabela has a whole boardwalk in which you can ride a scooter with friends. 
  1. Aguadilla – I may be totally biased, but I truly believe that Aguadilla has the best beaches in PR. 
  • “Crash Boat” beach is very well known, unfortunately for us. If you want to find a good parking spot, you either have to go on a weekday or get there by 8am. Otherwise, the walk to and from the beach is nothing short of humbling, since people park up a literal hill. It is quite a workout. You should also keep in mind that it rains in Aguadilla almost every afternoon. There are various food kiosks right on the beach, although in my opinion, they are way overpriced because of the tourists that frequent there. And there are some rentals, like banana boat rides, for those of you who want a nice adrenaline rush. Finally, this beach is most known for its dock, which people jump off of. And if you bring some goggles with you, you will see the most amazing marine life. Fishes of all colors and sizes are right at your fingertips. 
  • “Peña Blanca” beach is honestly my favorite beach ever. To get there I recommend a tall vehicle since the road is not the best, and unfortunately, you will have to park your car in someone’s yard. I usually pay around $4 to park my car, the neighbors there literally make a living out of renting parking. Once you have your car squared away, you have to make your way down to the beach. I’ll admit, I don’t recommend people with impediments go to this beach because to get down there you have to go down some steps that are a bit dangerous. Once you make it to the sand, you will have the most amazing view. A tall cliff rises up on the left with all kinds of birds flying around and making their nests, while to the right you see light blue waters stretching out as far as the eye can see. Make sure you bring food with you, because once you’re there you won’t want to leave, and food is hard to come by. 

Thank you for reading this far. I hope your 2023 summer is a blast and you manage to make it to some of my favorite vacationing spots! Remember, you don’t need too much money to get around in the summer. Most of my money ends up going to paying for gas, but to cut down on costs I always try to bring my own lunch. (Note: exceptions are made for alcapurrias in Hatillo.) Have fun!

Karla Perez is an undergraduate student at the University of Puerto Rico Rio Piedras Campus. She's studying English Education. When she isn't studying or working, you can find her reading the latest Colleen Hoover book, writing, or laying beneath a palm tree on a beach contemplating her life decisions.