PRdise: 7 Secret Spots You Don’t Want to Miss

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

Each semester, most of us aim to hit the ground running during the first few weeks of classes. Even though spring break is still a few weeks away, it’s almost too easy not to daydream about what we might be doing if we didn’t have to go to our 8:00am psych class. Between juggling schoolwork, jobs, internships, extracurricular activities and other responsibilities, the days roll on by; it’s easy to forget take a breather! It’s worth noting where our campus is located: on a beautiful, nature-rich 100×35 land mass just waiting to be explored.  College is stressful – no doubt about it – and most of the time, a serious dose of adventure and vitamin D may just be what we need to recharge.   Puerto Rico has a long list of places that are a traveler’s dream: El Yunque National Rainforest, El Morro, Cueva Ventana, Cueva del Indio and a handful of magnificent beaches throughout the southwestern coast of the island are some of the main sites to visit. Nevertheless, there are still lesser known natural attractions that are worth exploring as well!  Take a Saturday off, get your road trip gear together and check out these hidden gems scattered throughout our own little paradise island.   

Playa Rosada Location: Lajas, Puerto RicoThe southwest coast of the island is particularly known for its natural beaches. The town of Lajas, however, provides a twist to the typical sandy getaway: an ocean pool! The lack of a sandy shore doesn’t make Playa Rosada any less fun. It is handicap-accessible and there are full amenities such as restrooms, showers and picnic tables.  Playa Rosada is open Tuesdays through Sundays, from 9:00am to 5:00pm.Los Chorros del Rio La PlantaLocation: Arecibo, Puerto RicoA mere 30 to 40 minute drive from the metropolitan area, the town of Arecibo hosts popular hot spots like the Arecibo Radiotelescope Observatory, Cueva Ventana and Cueva del Indio, but there are a few secret spots that are worth exploring. Los Chorros del Río la Planta is a man-made waterfall built in 1923 as part of a now-defunct hydroelectric plant. It’s perfect for a quiet picnic lunch and a quick, refreshing dip in the river. Careful though — NEVER swim in rivers after it has rained or is about to rain — flash floods are common and can be dangerous.Laguna TortugueroLocation: Vega Baja, Puerto RicoFeeling dreamy? Take a trip down to the Laguna Tortuguero Natural Reserve. Laguna Tortuguero is a natural reservoir located between the municipalities of Vega Baja and Manatí. The lagoon is one of only two natural reservoirs on the island; it’s a standout in terms of scenic beauty, and it remains of great ecological importance thanks to its flora and fauna. GozalandiaLocation: San Sebastián, Puerto RicoNestled in the quiet town of San Sebastian is the majestic waterfall nicknamed “Gozalandia”, which can literally be translated to “land to be enjoyed”. The waterfall itself is about 50 feet tall and 30 feet wide, hosting a wide pool at the bottom of the falls. With this breathtaking scenery, it truly an escape from everyday life!La SoplaeraLocation: Peñuelas, Puerto RicoLesser known than Gozalandia, La Soplaera is another amazing secret spot to explore. Crossing through a smaller waterfall and maneuvering through the river is a trek worth making to take in the view of the beautiful 40-foot waterfall. The water may be cold, but remember to take in a deep breath and dive in!Finca GirasolLocation: Guánica, Puerto RicoThe southern part of the island mostly consists of wide plains – perfect for a sunflower field! It’s a lovely way to spend an afternoon having a photo op with your best friends or going on a date with a significant other. 

Reserva Natural Punta BallenaLocation: Guánica, Puerto RicoLast, but certainly not least, one of my favorite beaches: Punta Ballena. Located on the southernmost coast between Guanica and Yauco, it has been declared a Biosphere Reserve by UNESCO. Right next to the Guancia Dry Forest Reserve lays this pristine beach, away from the hustle and bustle, proving to be a relaxing getaway. Great for kayaking or simply lying on the sand and reading a good book on a sunny afternoon![Photos – See Puerto Rico, Flckr

Ana Maria Baez is a senior at the University of Puerto Rico, Rio Piedras and is Her Campus UPR's Campus Correspondent. Pursuing a major in Political Science, she enjoys reading, writing, Sunday brunch, traveling overseas, springtime and playing with her miniature schnauzer. She has interned on Capitol Hill for Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid in the Hispanic Press Office, and since joining the Her Campus UPR team in May 2013, she has been working hard towards promoting the first-ever chapter established in Puerto Rico.