This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

We tend to limit ourselves as human beings and think we’re not worthy or able to fulfill our wildest dreams. I’m here to tell you that’s false. You do deserve it—you are worth the risks.

I invite you to tear down the self-built walls around you. The world is a wide open space for you to grow.

Students may be afraid of leaping into a semester abroad because they worry about holding their graduation a year longer or, in UPR alumni’s case, the institution’s current stance.

We can only learn so much in the comforts of classrooms and homework assignments. Humans truly grow by stepping outside of their comfort zones and learning from mistakes, first or second hand. Be gracefully reckless and swan dive into foreign waters!

Just because you were born on the Island doesn’t necessarily mean you belong here. Abroad, you may come across like-minded individuals as yourself. It’s amazing to knit lifelong friendships around the globe, but you’ll never know who’s out there until you get on that flight.

Build a strong CV: your Curriculum Vitae, or resumé, is a vital key for future career endeavors. Some don’t see it now, but employers like to see international exposure in your records. It proves to them that you’ve invested in yourself and will serve as an asset with character. You’ll intrigue them on paper, and you’ll shine in their company as a well-rounded contributor.

What do I mean? You’ll be holistic! Why do you think Aristotle and Plato were considered masterminds? Unlike current day academia, they did not specialize in one discipline but explored all fields. Nowadays, holistic people are considered gems—they’re curious sponges eager for knowledge. How does travel fit into this? When you’re breaking your comfort zone, you’re constantly aware of your surroundings. You’re taking notes on how things are done differently in other countries, learning how people interact, etc. This is good because you’ll want to know more! Holistic people tend to be autodidactic and that’s the key in life: we never stop learning! You’re always a student.

After your semester abroad reaches its last sunset, you realize your flight back is in a few hours and it clicks (at least it did for me): You have so many stories! Such rich content only you have stored in your great memory files. After that first taste across the great ponds, you’ll want to keep vagabonding the grounds and waters of planet Earth. Who knows, you might end up as the cool and adventurous aunt/uncle that comes home for the holidays with new stories for your nieces and nephews (at least that’s what I plan on doing).

Please, please, please! Do yourself a favor and study abroad. It’s an investment, but you owe yourself that.

Overall, you’ll be a better human and our planet sure needs a lot of those at the moment.

Take care,

Ana

Image Credits: 1, 3.

Ana Teresa Solá is a Creative Writing student at the University of Puerto Rico, Río Piedras Campus and aspires to further her education with an M.S. in Journalism. Solá covers all things society and culture, and advocates for human equality.