Life > Experiences

Places You Need to Visit in Puerto Rico – Turismo Interno

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

Sure, the beaches in Puerto Rico are amazing! But what about our rivers, our mountains, or other culture-learning activities and culinary experiences? Here are some things and places my friends in the concierge business recommend. So pack your bags! Because whether you are from the island or not, these are the 5 things you must do during the summer:

Vega Baja: Caves, Waterfalls, Beaches, and Free Adult Drinks

An unforgettable adventure; hiking through canyons, and swimming in aqua blue natural pools fed by waterfalls. Guided tours through the northern area of Puerto Rico with sightseeing, food market visits, and lunch. Note that this tour requires you to have a moderate fitness level since there’s hiking involved.

San Juan: Old Town Foodie Walking Tour with Tastings

Enjoy the original food and cultural tour of Old San Juan. Discover a slice of paradise through local cuisine and cocktails, with numerous foodie stops along the way. Walk through the “walled city” of San Juan as you learn  about its architecture, major landmarks, and local history.

Bonus points: You will get hands-on experience making Puerto Rico’s signature dish, mofongo. Finish the night while you enjoy a delicious rum cocktail at a popular bar.

San Juan: Casa Bacardi Distillery

Immerse yourself in the world of rum! They will provide a welcoming drink, and who doesn’t love one of those? Taste the famous Bacardi rum and learn about the history and craft of manufacturing it. They provide some extra activities like watching a movie at the Bacardi Visitor Center, a rum-tasting class, and a mixology class.

San Juan: Beginner Puerto Rican Salsa Experience

Beginners’ class for couples who are willing to learn Salsa dancing and are sure that romance is not dead. Everyone is there to learn and have fun with their partner, so it’s a great environment. The only thing you might worry about is stepping on your partner’s feet.

dancing scene from In The Heights
Photo by Macall Polay / Warner Bros
Carolina: ATV Adventure at Campo Rico Ranch with Guide

Private ranch with beautiful views of the mountains, limestone rocks, and indigenous wildlife. Learn the history of the countryside and its flora and fauna during narrated breaks. Ride the dirt trails on an ATV with 2,200 acres at your disposal, then relax with a drink of your choice at the Mojito Bar.

hawaii nature hikes original
Tessa Pesicka / Her Campus
Bonus! San Juan: Old San Juan Sunset Food Tour with Drinks

Sample traditional dishes and drinks with the breathtaking views of Old San Juan.

Adrianna Lorainne Centeno is majoring in Foreign Languages in the University of Puerto Rico in Rio Piedras, making this their second Bachelor's Degree. They are best known for their ability to engage in conversations with everybody, one of their greatest quantities; along with being creative, versatile and open-minded. Lorainne is a published writer in different platforms thanks to their poetry book "Hours of sleepless nights". You can always find them criticizing and reviewing a book, movie or series and looking for the undertones on everything.