This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

I don’t know what is it with people nowadays. They all want to be married, with kids, tied down (it’s your decision, so I won’t judge). We’re college students, we don’t have time to be thinking about that! These things are, at least to me, something that need to be on your bucketlist when you’re probably 25-30 years old. Enjoy the college life with no strings attached. Isn’t what this phase is all about, having fun… figuring out who you really will turn out to be? I give you the perks of being single, so you know, you can reconsider and tell me what you think.

• You’re at the bar with your friends, there’s a cute guy/girl. He/she likes you, and asks for your number: Oh honey, hasn’t this been a really sad sittuation when you’re in a relationship?I think that when you go to a bar it’s to mingle for a while! Be risky, talk to the guy/girl. If you are single, you can do so… if not, you are forbidden!
  • You can do what you want: “Babe, can I go out with my friends?” Ask that to your TV, not your partner. I don’t know, giving explanations to me is something stressful and exhausting that can sometimes end up in heated arguments. Trust me, there is nothing more relaxing than deciding to go out with your friends or stay home watching Netflix on a Friday night. Even better, it’s your decision, not someone else’s. Oh and your clothes? Believe me, you have to be careful what you wear when you’re in a relationship. Some people don’t like their partner dressing the way they want. Just saying.
  • Isn’t it fun to meet people? If you are commited to your relationship, you will be spending a lot of time with that person. So you know what that means? No get-togethers, no excitement of getting the opportunity to socialize with someone new. Oh well.
  • You want to fly to London? Do it! Don’t we all have our wishes to fulfill? It’d be really hard on someone to plan a trip for two. You’d have to consider the other person’s interests. You don’t have THAT much in common. Think about it. 
  • My bed is always comfier when no one is next to me: There is no better feeling than to go home and throw yourself on the bed! No regrets, I tell you. You don’t get to fight over the sheets, and you can just lay in there all day, being the lazy person you always wanted to be.
  • Being in solitude is not that bad: You know what they say: “It is better to be alone than in bad company.” Sometimes we need to be shut off from civilization to think about our life, our goals, our future. Whenever you do feel lonely, you can always chat with your friends. :)
  • No sharing!: Remember that family meeting when you brought in your former VOLDEMORT (that, who must not be named)? And remember how it went awful in the end? You don’t have to worry about that! You won’t even have to meet anybody’s parents… why would you anyway? They are meant to hate you. Haven’t you seen the movie Monster-In Law? You should know better! At some point, sure, you’ll meet someone who is worthy of meeting your family and all, but until that time comes… cherish your family… because for now they’re all yours!
  • Here comes the money! One of the best advantages to being single is to get to keep your money for yourself. You don’t get to buy gifts for someone on V-Day, their birthday, anniversary, etc! It’s perfect. You get to spoil yourself every now and then. 
  • And lastly, flirting is completely legal. <3 Do I really need to explain this one out? It’s your life, have fun, make your own choices. Be the awesome person you are. Who knows? You might attract someone who gets you! And then, you wouldn’t have this awesome perks! Haha!

Reference:

*http://www.prevention.com/sex/sex-relationships/7-benefits-being-single

Nahir Robles was a former member of the Her Campus at UPR chapter from 2013 until 2018. She graduated with a Bachelor's in Integrative Biology. Some of her interests include writing, modeling, and wrestling. She is currently a Her Campus Mentor and works as a Pathology Assistant.