Nuns Pioneer Documentary to End Human Trafficking

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

The estimated amount of human trafficking victims in the world is 25 million. The most vulnerable targets are women and children. Both Sadhvi Siddhali Shree and Sadhvi Anubhuti decided to put an end to the silence surrounding the topic to educate people, and the result was an eye-opening documentary available worldwide.

“Stop Traffic: The Movement to End Sex Trafficking” was created to purposefully address a taboo topic that many believe is no longer as big a problem, but the staggering statistics state otherwise. Even worse, some believe that human trafficking is distant to their everyday realities, and the truth is that in the United States alone the number of humans trafficked surpasses 14 thousand. Slavery is as true today as it ever was, and this women-produced documentary sheds light on it.

Victims of this crime are unlikely to make it back home alive, they remain trapped, are killed, or they might simply decide to stay away because they are too ashamed. It is not surprising that a business that generates money by the billions has yet to vanish. This film moves one step forward in the fight against human trafficking and exposing its harsh repercussions on victims and society.

The documentary presents personal testimonies from survivors, activists and actors and organizations that support the cause. With raw images, the piece portrays the harsh life of the streets and exposes how easy it has become for predators to attack with the development and high use of social media and cyberporn. Even though the film presents heart-wrenching true stories it tells a tale of empowerment and hope and strives to further the movement towards eradicating modern slavery.

If the information alone is not enough motivation to watch the piece, the destination of the proceeds might be the extra push needed. The entirety of the revenue from the documentary goes towards trafficking awareness campaigns as well as shelters for survivors. January is also a great month to be watching it, seeing as it is human trafficking awareness month. The film is available online right now.

Women that dream of solutions to problems in society and are proactive, eventually see results. Sadhvi Siddhali Shree and Sadhvi Anubhuti are examples of this. Now, there is a product in the market aimed at educating people on the important topic of human trafficking. There is nothing too big to tackle. All that is needed is the right mindset, a plan, and an amazing group of people to help make it happen.