Screen Shot 2020 01 23 at 13654 PMpng?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Screen Shot 2020 01 23 at 13654 PMpng?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Zoe Hecht

My Top 5 Songs from ‘Hamilton’

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

If you’re a fan of musicals and American history, Hamilton is for you. This amazing musical based on the life of one of America’s founding fathers was created and composed by Lin-Manuel Miranda, an American composer and actor who was inspired by the 2004 Alexander Hamilton biography written by Ron Chernow.

The magic of Hamilton can be heard in the peculiar yet uniquely styled soundtrack, and the singing of the production’s performers. The musical is sung and rapped through every second since the very beginning. Since July 3rd of this year, the general public was blessed to be able to watch Hamilton from the comfort of their own homes via Disney+. In my case, it was my birthday present thanks to my cousin! I have always been a lover of musicals, but the essence of Hamilton captivated me mostly because, throughout its entirety, this musical narrates a story about determination and diversity. 

On another note, it’s magnificent how each song’s lyrics transport you to the past. Every detail within the music is well-lived in presenting Alexander Hamilton’s life to the public, and his commitment to the emergence of a new country: the United States of America. With an album composed of 46 songs, it’s difficult to not feel the roller coaster of emotions that Hamilton puts you through! It portrays the past through the lens of the present.

Keeping the uniqueness of the musical in mind, here are five of the most powerful songs from the musical, in no particular order:

My Shot

If you don’t sing this song at the top of your lungs, I don’t know what you’re doing with your life! Said by Miranda himself, if you know the lyrics to this one, you’ll be able to rap every other song. Alexander Hamilton (portrayed by Lin-Manuel Miranda) self-advocates to not miss the opportunity to join the revolution, an event that later brought him many triumphs, along with cheekiness. If you think about it, “My Shot” portrays the importance of taking advantage of every single moment of our lives. Precisely, it invites the people to not waste time and start thinking beyond and past tomorrow.

The Room Where It Happens

Aaron Burr (portrayed by Leslie Odom Jr.) was never able to know what was going on behind the scenes before entering Congress as a senator. With this song, his frustration about wanting to be a part of something bigger than him, but not being able to, is evident. With a mixture of rap and jazz, Burr sings about how he’s going to take advantage of every possible opportunity to be part of the important things that are happening in the country (which he did). With this pièce de résistance, the courage and the desire rises, as does the ambition of desiring something that can’t be achieved unless we decide to play the game. If we decide to play, we must be determined and cunning. In the end, we all want to be in the room where it happens.

Satisfied

We’re talking about women’s empowerment here! Although we can have desire, sometimes we have to let things go. Angelica Schuyler (portrayed by Renée Elise Goldsberry) demonstrates that by leaving Alexander Hamilton for him to seek the hand of her sister Elizabeth “Eliza” Schuyler. In the end, family love overcomes everything we seek in this temporary life. Angelica’s beauty in this sad take shows the empowerment of an independent woman. It’s clear that it hurts to have to let go of things that were once thought of as permanent, but those are the moments that are necessary to hold on to with your head held high. We might not be satisfied with some things, but that sadness and pain are the force that harmonizes tomorrow’s great conquests. As a woman, Angelica would advise you to search for your own revelation.

One Last Time

Even good things must come to an end. This is what George Washington (portrayed by Christopher Jackson) sings to both Hamilton and the nation, after having led the people for many years of his life. He was a great example of a leader who, from his mistakes and bad actions, chose to learn and lead an entire army to freedom. “Everyone should sit under their own vine and fig tree,” are the words of wisdom sung by Mr. President. People have to live their life to the fullest, seeking everything that they aspire to, but also learning from those rocky paths that sometimes arise. With a fulfilled life, individuals can have the opportunity to leave a legacy for those who follow them, motivating themselves to be better than they could be. I think that, with this piece, Miranda wants to share to the world to not be afraid to recognize when they’re satisfied with what they have achieved, and to learn and give to others the space to continue that legacy. In the end, some things need to be said goodbye to, one last time.

Burn

We stan every one of these powerful, independent women who speak their minds! It’s fascinating to see how, from the pain caused by her own husband’s unfaithful actions, Eliza Schuyler (portrayed by Phillipa Soo) turns it into fire, forbidding anything or anyone from destroying the person she is. She stands up for herself after a misery that cost the Hamilton family dearly. Although it’s a very sad song in its nature, it conveys this reaction of burning everything that destroys us, and using those ashes to create a new future. Tomorrow must continue, with our heads held high, no matter what lies ahead― even if it means letting it burn. 

Overall, Hamilton is a musical for the whole family. The sets, choreography, and costumes really transport the audience back to 1776 and beyond. Lin-Manuel Miranda is a genius for having had the ability to create and compose this play. I was shocked when I heard and studied the lyrics of the songs! They truly demonstrate both the context and history of Alexander Hamilton’s life perfectly. I invite you to share or create with your loved ones Hamilton’s Dates or Ham Karaoke Days, and enjoy the wonders that Hamilton has for you and the rest of the world.

Yarelis Ortiz Rivera is an undergraduate student at the University of Puerto Rico Rio Piedras Campus. She’s studying a bachelor's degree in Political Science and a minor's degree in Human Rights. When she isn't doing college work, she has her nose buried in a book or reading academic writings for gain of knowledge and research. Yarelis Ortiz Rivera is out here to do was right with passion in her heart!