This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

During the pandemic, I discovered a variety of talented artists that I now listen to nonstop. One of these artists is Kacey Musgraves. Personally, I’m not a huge fan of country music, but I do enjoy a lot of the songs that enter the Pop charts. I listened and bopped to her album Golden Hour, and I have enjoyed some of her previous records. Her latest and fifth studio album, Star-Crossed, is a personal look into her divorce and what she felt during that process. A continuation to her previous album, Star-Crossed focuses on the beauty, pain, and hardships of relationships through her unique lens. I love her entire album and it’s currently on my daily playlist. Here are my favorite songs that I have listened to uninterruptedly on a daily basis.

1. STAR-CROSSED

Let me set the scene: two lovers destined to fall apart. This is the first song of the album, presenting its encompassing theme. It begins with a melodic tone and a few guitar chords that sets the ambiance of the song, alluding to the certain heartbreak to come. Like Romeo and Juliet, the song presents that the couple’s love is ill-fated. I enjoyed this song as Musgraves captures the confusion and pain of losing a love you hold dearly. The song lyrics describe Musgraves signing the divorce papers and then, as the album continues, we travel back in time in order to understand the reasons for the couple’s relationship falling apart. It is a captivating introduction for what will be the subsequent ending of a marriage. 

2. CHERRY BLOSSOM

The song shows how the relationship is changing. The couple’s romantic spark is fading, but they are still holding on. It is a beautiful song that I listen to constantly. I like how Musgraves describes the insecurity that occurs in relationships when things start feeling different. Also, cherry blossoms are one of my favorite flowers because of their delicacy and stunning colors, which makes me love the song even more! Indeed, it is a great melancholic song to listen to on a rainy day.

3. SIMPLE TIMES

Reminiscing on the past is hard to do. This is shown on “Simple Times”, as Musgraves describes trying to go back to the beginning of her relationship, when things were better. Many of us experience that nostalgia of a moment in our lives, when things were easier. But time never stops for anyone. I truly resonate with the line that says “being grown up kinda sucks” because being an adult can be very stressful. And, who doesn’t want to catch up with friends as easily as during our grade school years? I listen to this song when I’m feeling nostalgic. 

4. IF THIS WAS A MOVIE..

This song is a nice segue from Simpler Times. After longing for the past, Musgraves tries to find another escape through movies. I have also imagined my life through a movie lens. You believe things could be different, and all your problems could be neatly resolved by the end. But life is not like that. It is a great song to listen to when you are feeling a bit gloomy.

5. EASIER SAID 

This song gives me an 80’s soft emotional ballad vibe. It is a song that captures the difficulty of opening up to people and maintaining stability within relationships. As a shy person, I can relate to the struggle of expressing your feelings and not letting other people’s input dictate your life. As Musgraves describes, love is hard work. At the end of the day, this is another great song for a sad and reflective moment.

I love all the songs on this album, and I appreciate Musgraves’ voice and lyricism. She reminds me of Dolly Parton, another country artist I love. I recommend everyone to listen to her album, especially when you are feeling melancholic and lovesick. 

Kayla M Altagracia Jimenez is a book lover who enjoys writing stories, painting, bullet journaling, listening to music, watching shows and movies. An English Literature student at the UPR Rio Piedras Campus, she loves wandering on new adventures. She dreams of becoming a renowned writer and making a meaningful difference in the world. Admires writers like R. L. Stine, Toni Morrison, and John Green.